Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mystery caterpillar

Posted by bogturtle SE NJ 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 18:07

On the hardy Passion Fruit vine, Passiflora incarnata.
We have had Vanessa cardui, the Red Admiral, Buckeye, and Question Mark around, as well as others.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mystery caterpillar

That's a variegated fritillary, a very pretty caterpillar. Here's what an adult looks like -

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The other butterflies you mentioned must have nectared on the flowers, since they don't lay eggs on passionvines.

Congratulations!

Sherry

o

Thank you. This is getting routine, as it is my third request, not having a guide book. Every time it has taken only a day to get a response from some knowledgeable person.
Actually preferable to going through the hundreds of photos on a website on American Butterflies and Moths.
Have seen the fritillary, often, but they have been too active and shy to be a reasonable photo op.

o

These caterpillars are very easy to raise... if you want to try I would suggest it because I have had 100% success with every variegated I have raised. I currently have five Gulf Fritillary cats I'm raising in a butterfly habitat on the back porch (the caterpillars feed on the same passion vine and look similar but don't have the white stripes.)

It's fun to watch them eat and grow and eat and grow and then form their chyrsallis. My variegated frits only seem to pupate for about four or five days before eclosing so it's a fairly quick turn around.

~Laura

o

I put together some butterfly identification websites on the Monarch Watch Forum. Actually, one is a video for skippers from Dick Walton--really good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly Identification Websites

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here