Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dragonflies? [photo]

Posted by nel.nucifera 8a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 18:20

I know this is a little off topic. But is there a way to attract dragonflies and damselflies? Anywho, here are a few photos.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dragonflies? [photo]

photo 2

o

You need larger-scale objects to attract dragonflies than to attract butterflies. Objects like a large, flat surface (dragonflies think it is like water) such as a basketball or tennis court or large driveway. That or a large water feature.

Otherwise just the occasional one will pass through your yard.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 15:25

Dragonflies spend more time living in fresh water as nymphs than they do flying around as adults. So you need to live near water habitat to see dragonflies in your yard. They feed on mosquitoes and other small insects, so if you maintain a lawn & garden free of toxic chemicals, you should end up with a healthy population of insects, and this will attract dragonflies. Damselflies seem to like tall grasses for perching-we have them in our yard every day, all summer long. I only see dragonflies now and then.

o

Thanks for your replies! Do you happen to know if Mosquito Dunks are harmful to dragonfly nymphs? I haven't been able to find any info to say it is or isn't harmful to them. t.i.a.

-Nel

o

Mosquito dunks are made of Bacillus thuringiensis Israelensis, a bacterium strain only known to infect insect members of the Diptera order.....flies, mosquitoes, gnats. Dragonflies are members of the Odanta order.

Be careful about going heavy on the dunks, though. Mosquito naiads are an important food source for the dragonfly nymphs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here