Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bandjzmom

Dark Form Tiger Mama

bandjzmom
10 years ago

Caught sight of this beauty in the yard just now and ran out with the camera. I actually do see a lot of these dark form Tiger SWT females in my yard. I have read that they are more common in Georgia and Florida. Just look at her big ole swollen abdomen. Think she may be full of eggs?
Angie

Comments (8)

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

She's beautiful! And yes her abdomen is HUGE. :-) Bet you're right and she's full of eggs.

I had a similar visitor today!

~Laura

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Both of you should search your tiger host plants for eggs - both pictures and butterflies are beautiful!

Sherry

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

Sherry I have no Tiger host plants in my yard. :-( It's on my "wish list."

~Laura

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wonderful shot Laura! Well Sherry, the ONLY host that I have in my yard is my new little Hoptree. It's big enough to support a few cats but not a lot. I do have those little potted Tulip Poplars that Daddy gave to me. I will check everything over for eggs. My little Tiger looks like she is ready to pop, hey? Laura, I ordered my Hoptree from MON down in Florida, and she sent a really nice plant. It wasn't too expensive either.
    Angie

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

If there are woods around you, their favorite host plant is wild black cherry, which is common there - that might be where y'all's gals came from. :)

Sherry

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I do have that around here for sure Sherry. There may even be some volunteers out in the yard now. Thanks.

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

I am in the city - in a hilly treed neighborhood in the southern part of the city. We do have some wooded greenbelt areas, but I have no idea if any neighbors have anything that would be a host plant. It's definitely something I want to add. I've tried to increase my host plants every year.

~Laura

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

I saw one that looked just like Angie and Laura's today nectaring in my garden. She looked newly emerged. I would have taken her picture, but you can look at the two pictures above and see just what she looked like! :) They're SO big!

Sherry

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES