Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chessie68

what is eating my butterflies?

chessie68
10 years ago

I am a very armature butterfly gardener. I need some expert help. Something is eating my butterflies.
I have mostly the big yellow and black tiger swallowtails. I have been seeing dozens of wings lying along the path and around the butterfly bushes. Just wings, no bodies.
I read where dragonflies eat butterflies but I don't see any around here.
I thought it might be birds as I live somewhat out in the country and there are numerous types of birds around, but I also read where it is rare for birds to eat adult butterflies.
Any thoughts?

Comments (9)

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

It could have been a praying mantis - they lie in wait on nectar plants for non-suspecting butterflies, but I don't know how they go about eating them, since I rescued the one I found in the clutches of a PM.

You're describing a weird situation. I guess it's most likely some type of bird eating them. I've seen birds, specifically cardinals, take crickets and grasshoppers, and discard the legs and hard shell, leaving only the inner body, then take this to the nest. But I've lived in the country for 17 years, and I've never seen wings scattered around, so I know my local birds don't do it.

I have to ask, is there some mentally ill person living nearby?

'So sorry!

Sherry

• Tony G
    10 years ago

LOL.....don't make Chessie paranoid Miss Sherry!

I found a "de-winged" monarch in our garden beneath the fennel plants.

The wings were perfectly in tact, but no trace of the body.

Perhaps there is a serial monarch killer on the loose? ;)

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I would suspect a raccoon taking advantage of a nocturnal roosting site. They would have the dexterity to tear off the wings and eat the soft body.

Martha

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

I've seen wings occasionally here and there, but Chessie said there were 'dozens' of wings, CoolButterfly. That still sounds weird to me. A raccoon might very well have done it.

Sherry

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

I agree with you Sherry. "Dozens" is really odd. I do find an occasional intact single wing in the yard, but I have never seen dozens in one place.
    Angie

• Tony G
    10 years ago

question Chessie...are you raising them and leaving the new butterflies to dry outdoors?

How could a predator catch that many butterflies otherwise?

Sorry Sherry, I missed the 'dozens' part before :)

• chessie68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have to say I have many more then dozens of live butterflies flitting around during the day. I must say there is a bumper crop this year. They breed like crazy in a wild cherry tree that boarders my property and is about 40 feet from my butterfly garden.
    Although I have seen no evidence of a raccoon, I wouldn't doubt that there is one in the area as I have woods at the very back of my property.
    I have 4 butterfly bushes around the property. I checked and the wings are only in the garden and around the one butterfly bush nearest the garden.

• HU-748349334
    last year

Guys, I had the same problem! 4 pieces of wings. It looked like they all went to the same butterfly and it was 4 sections of 2 wings. I was heartbroken to find these. It said online that lizards, frogs and other reptiles eat butterflies bodies because the wings have no nutritional value.

• Tom
    last year

My guess would be lizards of some type that live in the butterfly bush. Suphur (yellow) Tiger and Eastern Black Swallowtails do not have a nasty taste that discourages predators from eating them, like Monarchs or Pipevine Swallowtails. I've seen lizards grab Sulphurs before. Birds will eat those butterflies, but since they were around the same bush I doubt it was birds.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor