Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another What is it? Thread

Posted by NaturesFolly West MI 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 18:44

This is on the screen of our pole barn, it is about 1 1/4 inches long 1 in. wide and 1 in deep. I am assuming it is a coccoon of some moth.. do you know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another What is it? Thread

It may be an egg case from a praying mantis. It's really cool to watch them all come crawling out but I think it won't happen until spring. Maybe someone else will know.

o

I did see a HUGE Praying mantis in that area the other day... Thanks Christie! Have you seen one like it?

o

I think it's the big Asian Praying Mantis that has an egg case like that. They grow to be several inches long. I have found egg cases on the branches of my shrubs before. A LOT of babies will hatch out of that thing. I was worried that I'd have them all over my yard but I rarely see them. Maybe they all eat each other.

o

I believe you are right.. Mantis case it is.. very cool, I have seen 2 mantis this year.. now one egg case... Thanks so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here