Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of chrysalis did I find?

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 15, 10 at 19:14

I found this hanging off of my fennel when I was looking for swallowtail cats. Does anyone recognize it? Thanks : )

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of chrysalis did I find?

It looks like a Variegated Fritillary (Euptoieta claudia).

Here is a link that might be useful: Variegated Fritillary (Euptoieta claudia)

o

Thank you Runmede!
I've been seeing lots of variegated frit butterflies so that was one I looked up but the color didn't look right so I wasn't sure. This one is coppery brown with gold dots. I'm guessing the color can vary because the shape certainly looks right and it's shiny/metalic looking like the one you linked. It looks like a piece of jewelry. : )

Here's another picture I took that might show the color better.
Photobucket

o

I'm going to piggyback on this thread.

Go the website I linked. Scroll down to the 6th picture. The picture is of 3 very cool looking chrysalises. Anyone know what they are? I sure do not.

KC

Here is a link that might be useful: Insect Vocabulary

o

Very pretty! I started looking at images of gold and silver chrysalises on google images and came across this one. It's the exact same photo but it has an id. It says it's an mechanitis butterfly. I'm not familiar with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: mechanitis chrysalis

o
RE: Mechanitis

I'd love to know whether either site owns that pic or both grabbed it from somewhere else.

Mechanitis is a genus and there seem to be a lot of species in that genus. I was unable to find a web page that said which species makes that chrysalis. Maybe all the Mechanitis butterflies make a chrysalis similar to the gold ones.

Thanks for figuring out the Mechanitis part.

o

Tithorea tarricina pinthias (Ithomiinae)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tithorea tarricina pinthias (Ithomiinae)

o

I believe that Mona is right - Variegated Fritillary. But I suspect that this is a parasitic wasp infected Variegated Fritillary pupa. I see that this was an older post so it's probably long gone! When the abdominal segments are loose, membranes between the segments are dark - it's a bad sign. It normally means that either it's about to emerge (and you should see the butterfly through the shell) or it is full of wasp larva(e) and the butterfly no longer exists. Because it no longer exists, the muscles that hold the abdominal segments are gone and the segments are pulled loose by gravity. So sad when it happens!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here