Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_71

Butterfly activity picking up!

bob_71
10 years ago

In the last three days, the Swallowtails, Skippers, Painted Ladies and Cabbage Whites have absolutely swarmed my garden...especially the ASIAN MOON and WHITE PROFUSION Buddleias. For the last two days, I have had a fresh Zebra Swallowtail constantly nectaring on the ASIAN MOON. This is only the second that I have ever seen here and the last one was in 2008...I have no Paw Paws.

I hope things look up in your area.

Bob

Comments (9)

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

What a fantastic picture, Bob! I think I can see a little bit of the greenish coloring in the white that I saw in a local zebra swallowtail years ago - they're very rare here.

Asian Moon is looking better by the minute. I'd love to have a butterfly bush that doesn't need dead heading, which I do to mine constantly. I think it'll be the one I order next spring.

It's good to hear that your activity is picking up - so is mine!

Sherry

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

Wonderful photo of a beautiful butterfly.

Sandy

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

That's an absolutely beautiful butterfly and photo! So Asian Moon doesn't need deadheading? I'll have to check into that.

• bob_71
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ASIAN MOON, like all my buddleias, requires deadheading for best results!

Bob

• Tony G
    10 years ago

thanks for nipping the rumor in the bud Bob...I was about to order one!

I just received a 'blueberry cobbler' and 'attraction' butterfly bush in the mail today...going out to plant them now. Your photo is fantastic as always, Tony

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

Thanks Bob! I don't mind deadheading mine, they're so easy to pinch off. But, I wouldn't say no to one that didn't need it ;)

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Shoot! I thought if it was sterile, the panicles would just fall off! :)

Since they don't make seeds, at least you don't have to be in as big a hurry to dead head, right?

It isn't making seeds, is it? :/

Sherry

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Beautiful photo and wonderful news!!!! Thanks for sharing and encouraging.

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

Beautiful photo, Bob.

Sherry,

I read an article about 'Asian Moon' buddleia and it said about 2% of the seed is viable. It also said this is the only buddleia that is allowed to be shipped into or sold in Oregon as both Oregon and Washington State now classify B. davidii as a weed. Asian Moon is marketed as a seedless buddleia in Oregon. It was developed at the University of Arkansas and came to market in 2007.

Asian Moon reportedly has a more compact, rounded form and grows between 4 and 6 feet tall and 3 to 5 feet wide.

My thought is, even though the seed is not viable, it is probably a good idea to deadhead, to encourage the plant to continue to set flower heads.

Mary