Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mechelle_m

Pipevine Seeds (Aristolochia Fimbriata)

mechelle_m
14 years ago

I went outside to check on my pipevine (fimbriata) since I had found several cats on the tri-lobal leaf pipevine, hoping to find more cats and lo and behold I had a treasure trove of seed pods!

If you would like some fimbriata seeds, email your mailing address and I will send until I run out!

I have had 3 plants come up from the seeds dropping/blowing in the wind-no cold stratification or soaking seeds or anything, so I don't know if these will need any special treatment to sprout. The cool thing is 2 of the plants are nowhere near the original plant.

Mechelle

Comments (35)

• Butterflyer1966
    14 years ago

Dear Mechelle,
    I dont think you know me, but I am one of the Original Members but lately havent had a lot of time posting, but I sure read all the posts..
    I would love to try out some Pipevine seeds if you can spare some for me..
    Just email me to
    Butterflyer1966@aol.com
    and let me know..
    I would really appreciate that
    Butterfly-Greetings
    Susanne(SUE)

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sue,

The seeds are in the mail, sent you an email to your provided address, but just in case you didn't get it, wanted you to know that they are on the way to you.

Mechelle

• nancy86
    14 years ago

Hey Mechelle

I'll take some if you still have them. I'll be happy to send a SASE. Just let me know! nmann@texonlp.com

Thanks!

• tdr4
    14 years ago

My seeds arrived yesterday. Thank you, Trudy

• llhowland44
    14 years ago

Mine arrived yesterday! Thank you Mechelle!

• awgaupp
    14 years ago

do you have any left? if so, i would love them. are polydamas or pipevine the cat hosts. or are they both?
    please email me at awgaupp@aim.com

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I still have seeds, the plants are still producing pods, I collected 4 mature pods this week. Send me your mailing address and I will get the seeds in the mail to you.

Mechelle

• fighting8r
    14 years ago

Hi Mechelle, still have any of those seeds? Send me an email floridafightingator@yahoo.com

Thanks!!

• klflorida
    14 years ago

Hi Michelle, I just saw your post and would love any of your seeds if any are still available.
    klflorida@gmail.com

Thank you!
    Kathy

• avid_gardener
    14 years ago

I would appreciate a few.

sschaefer1 AT woh DOT rr DOT com

Thank you.
    I can send a self addressed stamped envelope or bubble envelope if needed.

• Mary Leek
    14 years ago

Hi Michelle,

This is such a nice thing you're doing. If seeds are still available, I would love to have a few. I can send you a stamped, self-addressed envelope for mailing.

mleek at sbcglobal dot net

I've just had my first beautiful flitting visitor of the year and it was a thrill. I don't know what type he/she was but hope it's a girl and she returns to lay some eggs. She spent quite a bit of time on the butterfly bushes.

Mary {{gwi:513184}}From __Garden Flowers - plants

• onafixedincome
    14 years ago

Mechelle...how do you tell the pods are mature?? I have A. californica that has podded like CRAZY but darned if I can tell the maturity.

HELP!? :) Thanks!

• fighting8r
    14 years ago

Thanks Mechelle, I've got them in the dirt! I've not planted all of them yet, and will try a couple of different growing mediums to see which works best if any.

Everyone who got some of these seeds, if they work for you please share if you have any special methods to get them growing! Thanks! Kelly

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    14 years ago

onafixedincome,

I emailed you, hope you received my response, but in case you didn't:

The seed pods will dry out and split, much like the milkweed seed pods do. I collect the pods just before they split completely open so I can harvest the seeds. Hope this helps.

If you have A. californica seeds, I would love to trade you for the fimbriata seeds. I don't know if A. californica would grow here in this area of Tx (NW Houston), but I am willing to try.

Mechelle

• frankiebf
    14 years ago

hi michelle if you have you have any seeds left let me know they would be greatly appreciated- italianoboy821@aol.com
    ~thanks

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Still have plenty of seeds! I sent you an email, frankiebf.

Mechelle

• frankiebf
    14 years ago

thankyou. do u find alot of pipevine swallowtail caterpillars on these plants?

• swallowtailgirl
    14 years ago

I would love some seeds if you still have some. Email me and I will send a SASE. Thanks so much! jkdesso@iclega.org

• joannpalmyra
    14 years ago

My friend a few towns away has pipevine on her fence, so I'll assume these seeds will be ok in zone 5/6.
    I'd like a few, if you can spare them. Glad to send a SASE. :)
    ~JoAnn

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    14 years ago

frankiebf,

I haven't had any pipevine caterpillars at all, only a single pipevine butterfly has even flown into my yard EVER and that was a few weeks ago. The pipevine is supposed to be in this area, but they just haven't come to visit me much. I do get polydamas swallowtails on the A. fimbriata and the A. elegans, though.

Mechelle

• sherrie_kay
    14 years ago

Mechelle -

I wish I could send you a few pipevine swallowtails! I'm enjoying seeing lots of them! I live in Deer Park Southeast of Houston. I purchased two fimbriata vines and one trilobata early this spring, and I wish I had gotten many more! The PSTs always lay their eggs on the elegans, and I trim closely around them and place the tiny piece of vine with the eggs on the fimbriata. They eat every bite of leaf and tender stem from that plant, and I have to move them to the trilobata. It breaks my heart when I run out of food for them before they are ready to pupate! I'll talk to my PSTs and tell them to send some of their kin up your way! :-)

• imabirdnut
    14 years ago

I also have a bountiful harvest of fimbriata seeds if anyone has another PVS host plant seeds to trade...I still haven't seen an adult here in Parker county Texas but usually see them in the late summer, early fall. I have both A. tormentosa(2 plants) & A. clementitis (3 plants) that have not bloomed as of yet. I would love some A. california or A.reticulata. I also have about a half dozen A. serpentaria plants from seeds I got from one of the members here but they are tiny.
    Let me know if anyone else needs A.fimbriata seeds & I wish I could trade some for some crysalids so I could get my PVSs going. I have plenty of host food for the hungry cats!

• susana_mc
    14 years ago

Mechelle,
    if you have any seeds left I would love to have some! I could trade you for something on my tradelist, like cosmos 'picotee'!

Susana_Mc

• fighting8r
    14 years ago

Mechelle, thanks again for sending, and I noticed this morning the first sprout emerging from one seed. Will keep you posted.

• Daniel Sanchez
    14 years ago

Hi. Do you still have seeds left?

• mlle.butterfly
    14 years ago

Dear Mechelle - I live in the Tidewater area of Eastern Virginia out near Williamsburg, and am desperately trying to farm Aritolochias to raise PVS cats also, as are many other people. If you have any fimbriata seeds still available at this late date, I would love to have a few and give them a try. I'm afraid I don't know much about raising the very small serpentaria roots that I recently purchased. But they are potted up and show signs of growth, even in now in August. The seller said that they wouldn't grow until next Spring, which kinda surprised me! So I've been online reading on the Forum here and I've learned that having "back-up" forage plants is a must when one has a female PVS visitor, which I plan for next Spring. Can you help? Do you have suggestions for keeping serpentaria "vines" alive until next Spring in zone 7? I could even send you an SASE to make it easy (if you have any fimbriata seeds still available)!
    Thanks!

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mlle.butterfly,

Send me an email (that I can respond to, mechellemaynes@yahoo.com), I have a few seed pods about to mature in the next week or so and can send you some seeds for a SASE. I was unable to respond to the email generated by the garden web, you had requested your email to remain private.

Unfortunately, I do not know much about the serpentaria. I do know it is also called Virginia Snakeroot and you may be able to find more info on the web about it. Good luck

Mechelle

• fighting8r
    14 years ago

Update- the plants are still very small, but have my first bloom from Mechelle's seeds! Very pretty plant. All my pipes have a LOT of growing to do before the polys come back.
    Thanks again Mechelle!
    kelly

• Mary Leek
    14 years ago

Kelly, what great news. I, too, have some little plants started from seed generously shared by Mechelle but haven't noticed any blooms. I need to go out and check them.

My plants are still in their little growing out pots. What do you have your little plants in, pots, ground or hanging basket and how much sun do you give them? Are you going to try and trellis them or let them grow along the ground or hang over edge of hanging baskets?

I'd thought to use hanging baskets but I'm afraid they might get too dry when I have to rely on other family to water when I'm traveling ... being in ground might be better for that reason.

So excited to hear you have blooms!

Mary

• fighting8r
    14 years ago

They are all in pots as of this time. The one that is blooming is in a larger clay pot, and my son pointed out the bloom to me, and I was so surprised, he said "I'm closer down to the ground so I could see it!"
    I have a couple others in smaller pots, and actually am wondering what to do with them. I would like to try hanging, but like you said, would be dependent on watering. I have them sitting in different areas, but for the most part, they are getting sun for the first part of the day and partial to mostly shade in the later afternoon.
    I think I am going to put them in a couple of filtered sunlight spots and try as a ground cover. Maybe try a couple in larger pots. I understand (but am not sure) that they do not grow out that far, so a small trellis might do the job too.
    Maybe someone else will chime in.
    ??
    kelly

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am so glad to hear that the seeds germinated for all of you and that the plants are doing so well. I found out that the fimbriata pipevine is extremely hardy: it survived outside in the freezes last winter. I was afraid both plants in the ground were goners, but they came back from the roots. I had a pot of fimbriata that I put in the garage during the freezes (and beyond, I forgot about it until the weather warmed up) and it is growing like you just wouldn't believe! I think some of the seed pods must have burst in that pot, there are so many new stems and leaves.

Mechelle

• Mary Leek
    13 years ago

Hi Mechelle,

I just wanted to follow up to let you know my little plants are doing beautifully and after being eaten down by the Pipevine Swallowtail cats, has rebounded and is blooming! THANK you so much for sharing this seed with the forum members. People like me would never have had a chance to grow this plant without your kind generosity. If my blooms set seed, I will pay it forward.

Mary

{{gwi:513185}}

• leni-organic
    13 years ago

Hi Mechelle, I just found your posts as I was looking to see which Pipevine was right for my zone here in Oklahoma City. If you are still sending out seeds, I would love to try some! Thanks.

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Hi, Leni-organic! I'm from OKC, too, and I grow Aristolochia clematitis, A. macrophylla, A. durior, and A. serpentaria. I don't have any seeds, unfortunately, but thought I'd let you know of the other varieties that do well here also. Rodd Angeroth just posted a thread here on the A. serpentaria. He is offering seeds for postage, and also roots very soon that run about $5 per root, I think - don't hold me to it. So check it out, too.

BTW - Welcome to the forum! I have butterfly plants and stuff that I try to share with my fellow OKC padres next spring.

I hope you will consider growing milkweed for the Monarchs as well as passion vine for the Gulf Frits, and other host plants. You'll get lots of butterflies that way.

Susan

• dlm
    13 years ago

Hi Mechele

Do you still have this seasons pipevine seeds? I would love some.
    dmiller88@live.com

Thanks Debbie

Sponsored