Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Luna moth eggs

karyn1
12 years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy luna moth eggs in the Mid Atlantic area? I've found someone in FL but the shipping is almost $50. If I can find them in the Mid Atlantic, 1st class or Priority mail will get them here within 1 to 2 days. There's some sweetgum and other host trees nearby but I haven't found any moths, cats or eggs.

Comments (3)

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    12 years ago

Unless you have a permit from the USDA, it illegal for you to import eggs across state lines.

Tell me what state you are in and I might be able to hook you up with someone in your state.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA permits

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't think a permit is necessary to receive Luna moth eggs in MD. There's a few types of silk moth and butterfly eggs that can be shipped here that are available online. The vendors I found are either out of stock or the shipping rates are way to high.

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    12 years ago

In 2001 or 2002, there was a proposal by the USDA to start allowing the interstate shipping without permit of 13 additional species of lepidoptera, with the luna being one of those. The proposal was never approved, partly because the North American Butterfly Association was against it.

Last year, a new list was proposed. Polyphemus is on it but the luna is not. Last update I saw on it was May 11th and it was still being reviewed.

Just because you can buy something online, does not make it legal and/or a good idea. I could give you contact info for a bunch of U.S. residents that would sell you lots of different moths, including unnatural hybrids via forced pairings plus foreign moths. There is a joker in Wisconsin that sells badly inbred moths. People buy them and then have boatloads of trouble. He then makes up incredible stories about why the trouble occurs and these people choose to believe him. And then at least one of those people started her own site to sell the inbred moths she got from the joker (her business did not go well because almost all of her inbred cocoons died). It is like dealing with bad puppy mills.

Shady Oak Butterfly Farm is up to speed on the regulations. I think they ship 4 different kinds of butterfly eggs to MD.

Unfortunately, I do not know any moth folks in MD.

Because of a vacation during the time my lunas were eclosing, I was forced to stop raising lunas for a few years. I'm back in biz now because my son caught a gravid female at a light last year. It can be done. My polys are from a caterpillar my son's friend found. My cecropias are from a caterpillar I found on the steps at a car dealership.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Update October 2010

Sponsored