Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
r_lilly

Black swallowtail went egg laying crazy!

R.Lilly
10 years ago

I am currently raising 14 cats. Four of which I got from lowes on parsley. Plus ten eggs I found the other day that just hatched. Went into my garden to pick fresh food and found 41 more eggs. Somebody has been a very busy butterfly. I have lots of parsley dill and fennel planted. They seem to prefer the fennel and dill for egg laying. But I've been feeding them on my parsley which I have about five big clumps of growing. Plus a few rather large dill plants and about 5 fennel plants that are about a foot high. I'm worried they're going to keep laying eggs and in not going to have enough food to feed all these cats. If I plant more parsley seeds you think theyll grow quickly enough to have extra food??

Comments (8)

• Liz
    10 years ago

I went to a local gourmet store and bought organic parsley. That worked out okay, but it turned out they were almost done eating anyway and are now in the chrysalis. If you have a Whole Foods nearby they would probably carry the organic. I found that each parsley plant fed one caterpillar. The parsleys were not large, however. I can't imagine how you will manage to feed that many cats. It wouldn't be a crime to leave some outside. Spiders and wasps have to live too. :-)

• R.Lilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I told myself today that I'm leaving anymore I find outside but I think I can save the world so I doubt I'll leave any I just can't after I seem how fast the very first 17 disappeared. I'll do my part and work hard!! I live in the city and there's not many gardens or even butterflies other than cabbage whites and my neighbors and passerbys are always complimenting and telling me how nice it is to see such a bright spot to look at!! I'll def be looking for organic parsley at stores if I run low. I'm going to buy some seeds tomorrow and start them in pots.

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

I started seeds inside this past spring and planted probably 30 parsley plants? It's holding up nicely but I'm focusing more on Monarchs right now. I do have about 12 BST that I am raising.

Anyway, that was my first time to start parsley from seed - it was quite easy, all seeds sprouted and I will definitely be doing it again. They have grown much faster than the dill I started from seed. HTH

~Laura

• R.Lilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've started the plants I have from seed. I don't why why I was thinking they would grow in time to feed all these hungry cats. And to top it off I found another 31 eggs someone left for me. So my best totals right now to approx: 70 cats. I've bought some miracle grow to feed my parsley and fennel and dill. Hopefully I can sustain these cats. I dunno what I'm going to do when monarchs start laying eggs.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

The BST ELFs have been going hog wild here, too. I'm raising 24 now and there are more eggs!
    And today I saw another female around what's left of the Fennel. Tomorrow I'm going to the Farmer's Market to get some Parsley and maybe some Fennel if I can still find it up here. I'm seeing more Monarchs and finding eggs and cats as I go along. I have 3 hatchlings today and 6 5th instar cats and a couple of #4s.

• R.Lilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I find more eggs everyday. I found another 11 today. At this point I'm just gonna stop counting and hope they all make it. I have so many tubs and I'm in process of building a large housing cage for the chrysalis' and a lady brought me a 20 gal aquarium that I'm going to keep inside to better house all these cats. I have been having issues with them disappearing. But I'm pretty sure some are getting eaten by others. I did have one cat out of the first batch of ten that randomly died. I'm think he wandered to far from the food and starved himself while I was away. I have 12 cats right now. One chrysalis and one in process. And then I have about 70 eggs I'm waiting on to hatch.

• alch21
    10 years ago

farmers market will carry everything you need to feed your growing family ! Good luck

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

Wow, congrats on so many.

Thanks for helping them out.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths