Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help ID these clusters of black catepillars with long white fur

Posted by greyraven40 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 11 at 20:16

hi,
these are on a weed type thing behind my privacy fence. There are 100s of them in these clusters and they "twitch"
Any ID? Are they safe? I couldn't find any similar images...thanks, casey

link to pics....
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/greystreet41/catepillar/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help ID these clusters of black catepillars with long white f

link doesn't seem to be hyperlinked...sorry

o

They sure look like walnut caterpillars. Walnut caterpillars/Datana integerrima can be found on members of that family of trees, like butternut, hickory, pecan and walnut. Could these weeds be walnut or other nut tree sprouts?
Here's a link.
Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Datana integerrima

o

Ooh, this is one time that I can call a caterpillar 'creepy'. Maybe not on an idividual basis, but in a big, twitching wad of hairy caterpillars?

Yes, Sherry, the plant is some sort of nut in the Carya genus (Juglandaceae family).

greyraven, they don't sting if that is what you mean by 'safe'? They have lots and lots of natural predators and rarely will cause enough damage to be a long term problem for the trees. Nice pictures.

o

I have those this year too. There's 15 feet of frass on my driveway where my black walnut overhangs it. Kind of scary to see so many up in the trees. They DO twitch. It's weird.

o

You think you're creeped out, imagine how the birds, or mice that are considering eating them feel! Evolutionary mission accomplished!!

o

I have these too. Mine are in a big clump on the side of a tree...

Copy and paste this link, or click on the hyperlink below for a pic:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/262842_1852502766926_1671493114_1296266_1994767_n.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: CLICK HERE for a photo

o

Wow! that -would- be kinda creepy to come upon. Yikes! lol Glad I don't have those. I'd be freaked out for sure!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here