13 years ago

Apparently this little lady ....

{{gwi:513866}}

{{gwi:513868}}

{{gwi:513870}}

left me some of these ....

{{gwi:513872}}

Thats the good news!

The bad news is that the viburnum that they are feeding on is in a pot and I was going to plant it this fall. But I'm worried about where they will pupate and hurting them when I plant the bush. Should I attempt to raise them from cuttings? What do I do to provide the appropriate medium for them to pupate in? Or should I try to plant the bush now? It's a pretty small bush and I counted four of them!

Thanks in advance ....

Comments (19)

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    13 years ago

Those are incredible pictures.

• runmede
    13 years ago

If you don't give them protection, they will most likely get eaten. They will also use honeysuckle vine and shrub.

(see link below)
    Life Cycle
    Two generations per year. Larvae feed on dogbane (Apocynum), honeysuckle (Lonicera), bush honeysuckle (Diervilla), and snowberry (Symphoricarpos). In Piedmont, North Carolina, seem to prefer the native Coral Honeysuckle, Lonicera sempervirens.

I've raised them in those 13 cup Glad containers. They will pupate under the paper towel that I put in.

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=3439
    Life history: Adults fly swiftly during the day. Caterpillars pupate in cocoons spun in leaf litter on the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hemaris diffinis - Snowberry Clearwing

• jeanner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you a2zmom!

I thought these were Hemaris thysbe?

I do have other viburnums - arrow wood and blackhaw are the two natives that I have but the bush she picked was the only nanny berry that I have. I do have lots of snowberry, I was a little suprised that I've never found any cats on them.

I will work on getting them into containers tomorrow.

• runmede
    13 years ago

Food
    Larvae feed on hawthorn, honeysuckle, snowberry, viburnum.

I was trying to identify from your picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hemaris thysbe

• bananasinohio
    13 years ago

What fabulous picture! Are you using a telephoto?
    -Elisabeth

• fighting8r
    13 years ago

No advice on raising these guys, but have to say - AMAZING photos!!

kelly

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Incredible images. I've always said that some of the best insect and flower images can be found right here in this forum.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Those pictures are incredible! How beautiful! I've never seen a hummingbird moth.
    kay

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

Fantastic pictures!
    If they feed on Japanese honeysuckle, and your area is like mine, there should be an unending supply of leaves for them.
    I've never raised any myself, but I feel sure that the cats would grow just as well on arrow wood as your potted viburnums.
    Sherry

• jeanner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

First, thanks all for the compliments on my pictures - I'm glad you enjoyed them. Elisabeth, yes I am using a 100-400mm telephoto lens.

I am definitely going to have to do something as the bush is now 2/3 gone. I am going to offer them a choice of virburnums, some snowberry and some native bush honeysuckle to see what their preference is .... I didn't think they would eat the Japanese honeysuckle but if they do, I certainly have plenty of that (ugh).

So should I just lay paper towels in the bottom or should I shred it ? I do have leaf litter in the woods that I could use if that would be better ??

• runmede
    13 years ago

Just lay the papertowel, it is much easier to change when cleaning up the frass. Offer what they are eating and the something new at the same time. I never change host plants unless I offer what they are eating and the other offerings at the same time. Much easier to get them to change.

• bernergrrl
    13 years ago

I have to chime in about the pics too! Stunning! Love that one with the proboscis all curled up!

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Your pics are fantastic! I've never been able to get a clear pic of a hummingbird moth.

• bananasinohio
    13 years ago

Jeanne;
    What did you find they liked the best? I am curious to see if they will eat the Amur honeysuckle (Lonicera maackii). I have been told that but I would like it confirmed. I know they like the native (Lonicera sempervirens). I have had aquaintances who purchased Lonicera sempervirens with eggs on it.

I have always wanted to raise some of those. I have Lonicera sempervirens in my yard and in the past have had Hemaris thysbe visiting but have never found any. In fact, this year we have yet to see any at the arboretum or elsewhere. Hmmmm...

Cheers,
    Elisabeth

• catherinet
    13 years ago

For those of you who aren't familiar with Jeanner, her pics are always fabulous! She takes alot of bird pics too and no matter what her subject is, her pics are always incredible!!
    Thanks Jeanne! What an inspiration!

• tracey_nj6
    13 years ago

WOW, amazing photos!

• jeanner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was too late. I got home late last night so I decided to move them off the bush this morning. But they had already pupated! They were munching away last night when I went to bed but when I checked on them this morning, 3 of the 4 were gone. I always mulch my pots to help retain moisture and when I did some careful poking around, I found two of them in the mulch. I'm guessing the third is there too but I didn't want to disturb them too much. I did move the fourth one into a container but I'm guessing it will pupate soon, based on it's size. I'm thinking that after a few weeks, I can carefully pull the pupae out of the mulch before I plant the bush?

Strange that you haven't seen many this year Elisabeth because I'm seeing more than I have ever seen before. I've also seen the snowberry but not as often.

I thought you might find this amusing .... the potted nanny berry came from Cox! It was one of the free plants given to the members a few years ago. A friend has been growing it in the pot and decided she didn't have room for it and she knows my affinity for natives so she gave it to me.

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

I love Hemaris diffinis and have raised many of them for several years. They are easy to raise, and terribly cute! I've had both the more common green form and the brown form caterpillars. The last or 5th instar caterpillars are about the same size as a last instar Monarch caterpillar, not quite as fat as a Monarch cat. You can remove the pupae from the pot and place them in a pot with about 4" of potting (bury the pupae about 1-2") soil in it, inside a cage, with a few sticks/skewers for them to climb onto when they emerge from the soil. I found one emerging from the soil in the garden one day. Kept hearing this buzzing noise and when I looked down, up the moth came kinda like a tiny helicopter emerging from the soil. So funny!

These moths are a joy to raise.

Your photographs are nothing short of spectacular!

Susan

• jeanner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Susan

Thanks for the help (and the kind comments!). It's funny because years ago I was grossed out by tomato hornworms but now I also think these hornworms are cute!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH