Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 20:42

Got some new plants today from a local plant building. Pentas and a Fennel. :-D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got new plants for butterflies!

The Fennel. ^__^

o

Beautiful! The Black Swallowtails will love the fennel. It will spread by reseeding, so you'll never run out.

Martha

o

Thank you! ^__^ I was wondering about that. Lol So happy to hear that. Can you visually see the seeds inside the flowers before the seeds come out? Or no? Mine doesn't have any flowers yet I assume. Thank you!

o

Congrats on your latest acquisitions ;-)>
Fennel blooms towards the middle and end of Summer. The seeds look very much like caraway seeds (a relative) and appear shortly after the flowers. The flowers appear in umbels and attract many beneficial insects such as Hoverflies.
The Pentas is a fantastic nectar source for your area.
You may also want to invest in some Porterweeds and some Jatrophas for nectar as well.

John

o

Thanks alot Leaf! Aaah I see. Argh, that I gotta wait for the flowers! >__< Gotta have Hover flies! I've got way, way too many stupid aphids. You recommanded that I get Pentas! :-D Lol I do like the cool shape of the flowers on Pentas. I love being different (with different/unique plants). And I'll look into those other 2! :-D

o

Happy shopping! You might keep your eyes open for some Mexican Sunflower (Tithonia) as well.
Other plants that attract BSTs -and Hoverflies- are Parsley and Dill.

John

o

I got a bucket of Pentas,new for me too! I really like mine and
They are doing well,but I make sure I keep them watered.
I have them in plenty of sun,but some dappled shade because
It gets so hot in south AL.

I have potted up everything I bought to bigger containers already,
And I have been doing quite a bit of container gardening this season.

This past week has seen zebras,tigers,Palamedes,American ladies,
One Buckeye,one gulf Fritt,a couple of variegated Fritts...
Not so many RS purples as earlier...no BLK swallowtails(I had some earlier)
One maybe Pipevine swallowtail at a distance.

The summer brood is definitely out here.

DD

o

Hoping for Gulf Fritillary and something in the Swallowtail family to go with my Passion Flower and Fennel. Lol I have yet to see either of those OR eggs on those plants. Congratulations on seeing all of those butterflies! I'm jealous. I do see (other than Monarch butterflies) white and yellow butterflies/moths (don't know the names). Wow, such a blue butterfly "Red Spotted Purples" are. Blk stands for the Black Swallowtail right? Thank you.

o

Two beautiful photos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here