Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's a popular place.....

Posted by catherinet 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 21:15

Even though there aren't many monarchs around, the milkweed blossom is still a really popular place!

photo IMG_6788cropped_zpsc331e5b9.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's a popular place.....

That's a sweet shot!! I still await the first Hummer Moth of the year...

o

Thanks leafhead. Last year I was disappointed that I didn't see any hummer moths. They usually like my hosta flowers. But this year, I'm seeing them on a lot of the milkweed blossoms. Maybe it's the same one, but it's nice seeing it (them) again!

o

Beautiful shot! I saw the first hummer moth in many years this year on Delphinium!

o

They're just so darned cute! haha

o

Here's a different pic I got on another day. Not sure if it's the same kind. The red really showed up in the first pic, but it may have been because of the sun on it.??

photo IMG_6746hummermoth-3_zps388e95fe.jpg

o

There are two species:
The Hummingbird Clearwing and the Snowberry Clearwing. The latter is more of a bumblebee mimic.

o

I saw one yesterday on my mom's sweet peas. It had more of the red, as well.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here