Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanner_gw

Silvery Checkerspot eggs

jeanner
12 years ago

I watched a silvery checkerspot lay eggs on the underside of a black-eyed susan this afternoon.

{{gwi:515670}}

She was at it for quite a while - but no wonder, look at what she left!

{{gwi:515672}}

From what I read, the cats overwinter at the base of the plant so I'm not sure how I should raise them. I'm not really set up to keep plants in the enclosure so I'm not sure what my options are.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments (9)

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    12 years ago

At least one suggestion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Over-wintering Silvery Checkerspots

12 years ago

here is the refrigerator method

Here is a link that might be useful: Overwintering

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Fantastic find!
    Good luck!
    Sherry

• jibd
    12 years ago

Wow! Congratulations! I don't know if this is true, but it seems to me like not many people get Silvery-checkerspot caterpillars, or at least they're not posted about often, so that's a great find!

• caterwallin
    12 years ago

Congratulations on that great find! I had Silvery Checkerspot eggs here only one time and that was about 5 years ago. They were on Rudbeckia hirta. Now I have Rudbeckia fulgida and never noticed any on them, but with all that I have they could have been there and I just didn't see them. lol You really have a lot of eggs, so I hope you'll have enough food there for them. Being that they're a smaller cat, they don't eat as much as something like a Monarch. Good luck with them, and I like your picture of the eggs!
    Cathy

• bananasinohio
    12 years ago

That is awesome Jean! I have worried a bit about this species as it does not seem as common as it should. If you want to bring some to the arb, we have black eyed susans there. Otherwise, I hope all goes well with them. Looks like you will have a handful!
    Cheers,
    Elisabeth

• jeanner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement.

Elisabeth, I was going to send you an email and ask if you would take some. I'd like to try some but I would feel much better if they were in your hands. I don't think I can seperate the eggs without doing some serious damage but I have them under protective custody and as soon as they hatch I will bring you some.

I'm wondering if I raise them in a container for a short while and then put them in the garden on one of the clumps of black eyed susans with an inverted mesh hamper over the top and stake that into the ground. I'll have to police the plant first and be sure it gets watered since the top of the hamper would keep it somewhat protected. I think I might also liberate some and let them find their own way just in case I manage to kill them all.

• bananasinohio
    12 years ago

Great Jean, I will gladly help out. I am sure you will do fine with them too. I think the hamper over the plants will work well. Just give them a really good rinse off with the hose to get rid of as many predators as you can. I think your idea of raising them up a few instars will help too. Then they can have some protection from the smaller predators.

Here is an interesting website I found that discusses raising caterpillars that need to overwinter.

Cheers,
    Elisabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: raising butterflies

10 years ago

A heads-up to anyone growing plants for silvery checkerspots, e.g. coneflowers, black-eyed susans, liatris spicata

Be careful with your spring cleanup because the caterpillars overwinter near the base of the plants.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor