Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I try to maintain organization, or let the garden go?

Posted by docmom z5 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 21:52

I have a very well established butterfly garden with many mature perennials and a great variety of host and nectar plants. Due to the moist spring, I now have literally hundreds of volunteer seedlings of many of my most valuable plants. The problem, if it is even a problem, is that the volunteers did not stay in the previously semi-neat groupings or beds that I had originally created. My question is, should I try to transplant things in the fall into more controlled groupings? Should I pot up some of the seedlings and give/sell them to interested people? Or should I let it continue to be a very natural-appearing and carefree mish mash? In some cases, the plants really are going to get too crowded. So I'll certainly move/remove some plants. It's also getting hard to move around through the garden, so I will re-create some access paths.

If I decide to pot up plants, should I shake the soil from the roots and put them in commercial potting soil? Or should I fill in the holes with commercial soil and keep the original soil around the roots? I suppose that depends on whether I'm more concerned about the health of the transplants or the quality of the soil left in the garden. What have others done in their gardens?

Plants that I have off the top of my head:

Asclepias tuberosa (hundreds)
A. incarnata (thousands)
A. "Red"
Joe Pye Weed
Woodland Sunflower
Downy Sunflower
Wild Blue Lupne
Coneflower
Black-Eyed Susan
Obedient Plant
Rue
Coreopsis (annual)
Fennel
Parsley
Monarda (several types)
Virginia Creeper
Anise Hyssop
Anemone
Flox
Golden Alexander
New England Aster
Rudbeckia
Columbine
etc.

Who wants some? I look forward to any thoughts.

Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I try to maintain organization, or let the garden go?

My garden has turned into a "free for all" because of all the seedlings that have taken over. I'd probably try to control it, if I had it to do over. Health issues got in the way, and now I spend a lot of time removing unwanted plants each year.

When you dig up the seedlings, leave the dirt on the roots and just add potting soil to the pots to fill them. I've found the less I mess with the little plants, the better they do when transplanted or potted. Your friends will love you for sharing your babies.

Good luck.

Sandy

o
RE: Should I try to maintain organization, or let the garden go?

Be sure to share with all of your neighbors. The more people in the neighborhood you can get to grow plants for the butterflies, the more butterflies you will bring to the 'hood' for your enjoyment!

It's a Win-Win situation!

Betty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here