Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kchd_gw

Adopt a Milkweed Newbie

kchd
10 years ago

Hi there, fellow milkweed growers and butterfly lovers!
I've started a thread on the Seed Exchange where those who wish more gardeners would incorporate milkweed into their flowerbeds and plantings can come together to share seeds with those who have never grown milkweed before. If you are interested in joining, please check out the thread.
Adopt a Milkweed Newbie
Happy Gardening!
Katie

Comments (16)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Joined!!!

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I think we should establish a new measure of quality homeownership. No yard is complete without a patch of milkweed. Any time you visit anyone's home you can ask," and where do you grow your milkweed?" Even apartment dwellers could have Tropical Milkweed in a pot on their balcony, or some nectar plant if they only have shade. The new normal! But, be gentle and enthusiastic, not judgemental. Help everyone know how fun it is to see the pollinators buzzing around and know they are helping to preserve the amazing Monarchs.

Martha

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

New catch phrase for the New Normal: Got Milkweed?

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha, Martha, that is brilliant!
    Around here, the A. variegata grows in shade, so even the shady yards could have milkweed!

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

I'll be giving some milkweed plants and seeds to a friend who has none this weekend.

I sure hope this is a success!

Sherry

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

I would so wear a "Got Milkweed?" shirt. Hmmmm... there's an idea!

~Laura

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

That's a WONDERFUL idea, Laura! I'd buy a lot of them and give some to my family and friends.

Maybe Cafe Press could make them?

Sherry

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

Sherry I have a couple of contacts here locally - I think I will check into it to see how expensive it would be to make them and perhaps if sold for just a dollar or two more, it could be donated to Monarch Watch? I'll follow up.....

~Laura

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hahah, or how about a "Got Milkweed?" reusable grocery bag? I'd sport one of those!

Katie

• cghpnd
    10 years ago

What a great idea! I believe this will work.

My first plant ever was a swamp milkweed..in a pot...I did it all for the butterflies! I know my first-year as a new gardener has been successful because of y'all helping me and walking me through this.
    Seeds were given to me as well and I will pay it forward when they are ready!

All 35 of my plants are in containers, hanging baskets...etc. I have put those huge totes to use... I think they are 5 gal...on top of tables outside. The apt ppl have these big useless bushes that are 4 ft high so that's why I have them high lol. One of my patios gets about 6 hours of sun andthe rest shade. Some of the biggest milkweed is over there!
    Opps sorry to ramble....

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like reading your ramblings, cghpnd ;) And how wonderful to read about all those milkweeds doing well for you in containers! If you are so inclined, I think it would be great for you to post on the "Adoption" thread about growing various Asclepias species in appropriate sized containers. That would no doubt encourage many who live in an apartment to give milkweed a try!

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Leafhead,
    You may have started something! I would love a "Got Milkweed" hat, t-shirt, bag, coffee cup, car magnet, or little garden flag. We've got to do this. Does anyone have a good art connection? What am I saying? My nephew just graduated from Notre Dame with a degree in graphic art. I'll contact him if I can. This is so exciting!

Martha

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Oops. We might be infringing on someone's copyright. I just tried to post a new thread with the title "Got Milkweed?" here on the butterfly forum. I had described how we came up with this new campaign, and encouraged others to spread the word. Well, after I hit "submit" and the link popped up to get me back to the Butterfly Forum, my new thread isn't here. I'm hoping it's just being looked at by the thread monitors and will eventually show up, but I wanted you all to know.

Martha

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, good. It showed up now.

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

And on that thread, I brought up the possibility that we might be infringing on someone's copyright. And then I read your post here. It's a possibilty that needs to be considered.

Sandy

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I sent a note to the California milk thingy telling them about our idea. We'll see what they respond.

Martha

Sponsored