Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need an ID!

Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 22:05

Hello Everyone, I am posting this pic here in the hopes of getting some help on identification. This little guy/girl has been flitting around my gardens for about a week now. It shows up as a little blue, while flitting. I've been trying to attract the Karner Blues so every time I see a blue I really get excited, but this one has me puzzled. I've never seen an all white body and the shot I have with the wings open shows the butterfly as all white. But when it flies, it is blue. It is only about as big as my thumbnail. Could it be a Karner?
Any help at all would really be appreciated.
Thanks,
Shirley!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need an ID!

It's the summer form of the spring azure, sometimes called a summer azure, definitely not a karner blue, which has many orange markings on the underside. Summer blues are known to be paler, much whiter, than spring azures. The blue you see when the butterfly flies is on the topside of the wings. At rest with the wings up, you just see the pale whitish coloring.

That's a beautiful picture of a very hard to photograph tiny little butterfly!

Sherry

o

When flying, you get to see the wings at all angles. Camera-shot wings can vary from white to dark because that particular angle did not reflect the blue--many wing scales on this butterfly are structural, not pigmented.

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 0:21

Thank you, Sherry, I think it was the white body that was confusing me. Over the years, I've been able to get several photos of the Azure, just never realized the body was all white.
This is, by far, the best shot I've taken.
Larry, when you have time, could you explain what you mean by "structural, not pigmented"?

Many thanks for responding!
Shirley!

o

Most butterflies' wing scales are colored by pigments; the wing will display the same color at any angle and in shade or sun.

The blues' wing scales are structured like a prism, and the angle has to be just right to see the most intense blue.

More detailed explanations can of course be found on the Web.

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 23:25

Thanks, Larry!
I got some better shots of this butterfly today, but again, they are all white. Really seems to like the echinacea!
Shirley!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here