Took these last weekend:

My guess is a Fiery Skipper?

Fiery? Skipper

And this one I can't tell:

Unknown Skipper

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two Skipper IDs?

I think they're both fiery skippers, with the one in the second picture just being older and much more worn than the first one. But I'm NO skipper expert.
If anybody knows for sure what type skipper they are please post. And while we're IDing skippers, does anybody know what type this is? Bright orange skippers that look just like this one have been turning up in my garden lately -
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sherry

o

The first two are fieries. Miss Sherry, yours is a Whirlabout or Polites vibex. Awesome find!!

o

Thanks, Sandy!
My field guide says they actually 'whirl-about' when they fly off. I've never paid attention to their 'fight pattern' but I'll certainly start.
Sherry

o

Wow! That orange on the purple is gorgeous. It is my favorite color combination. The problem with this forum is that I could sit here and look at the photos all day. And I need to get out and plant a butterfly garden at a school this morning!
Cheers,
Elisabeth

o
Sherry what kind of flower is that?

Sherry, what kind of flower is the purple one? It is absolutely gorgeous!! Wow, I have got to have some of those whatever they are :) Also, great pics from both of you! Regina

o

There are many whirlabouts in my garden, nectaring on the lantana, and they do indeed 'whirl about' when they take off and land. They're cute!
Sunshine, the purple flower is Passiflora 'Incense' a hybrid of P. incarnata, the native maypops, and P. cincinnata, not native. It makes the biggest flower of any passionvine I grow. This particular flower was blooming on a vine that came up from a runner in my garden - the flowers and vine have climbed up a wild azalea, so it sort of looks like the azalea is making big purple flowers! :)
It has the same good smell as P. incarnata only much fainter. Gulf frits won't lay eggs on it unless everything else is used, but I keep it for the big, impressive flowers, that many insects nectar on.
Here's a better picture -
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here