Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I thought I saw a buckeye butterfly - I did! I did!

Posted by jeanner SW Ohio - Z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 22:14

This morning I was doing some much needed yard work and I thought I disturbed a buckeye out of the grass but I had a wheelbarrow full of dirt and I didn't stop to look closer.

This afternoon one showed up in the garden! I love these butterflies - they always look like they do little piroutes . Last year I had them by the dozen and they would congregate on the dwarf zinnias.

This one was a little camera shy so I tried to keep a distance.

My coneflowers look pathetic this year, if we don't get some rain soon my whole garden is going to dry up!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I thought I saw a buckeye butterfly - I did! I did!

Beautiful buckeye!

Sherry

o

Beautiful!
Do you have verbena bonariensis? That seems to be the Buckeyes' favorite thing in my yard. When my sedum blooms, I see them on that too but it doesn't bloom nearly as long as the Verbena B.

o

No Christie I don't have any verbena bonariensis, it's not hardy to my zone. I do have sedums and that was a favorite with the buckeyes. I also had some short orange cosmos last year and they liked those. I was going to plant some snapdragons this year and I forgot, I'm not sure what else is a host plant for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here