Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cats won't transition from A. curassavica to A. viridis

Posted by flutterby64 7b Dallas TX (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 22:28

I have several Monarch cats on Tropical milkweed, but I'm running out of it. So I took one of the 4th instar cats and placed him on A. viridis thinking he would be ok with that. Instead, he started snapping his head up & down and eventually fell off the leaf and crawled away. Why did this happen? Can I not transition them to another type of mw?

Dana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cats won't transition from A. curassavica to A. viridis

Back in '70s, I ran into extremely picky monarch cats all the time. These days, they don't seem to care. So I'm surprised you're having problems.

I'd work on switching the agreeable ones and hope you have enough tropical for those who refuse to switch.

o

I'm not familiar with the viridis species but my cats have no problem switching between swamp, tropical, common, and butterfly weed.

I'm sure he will come around soon, Tony

o

I just raised 10 cats that I found on both tropical & swamp milkweed & fed them common with no problem. I have some of the A.viridis in pots but forgot to try it with them before they pupated. I tbink this time of year, all the A.viridis is gone around the native areas because of the heat...I wonder if that is why it didn't like it??? Do you have any swamp or common? They seemed to love both for me! :o)
Lila aka 'imabirdnut'

o

Dana,

Did the little cats ever begin to eat the A. viridis? I know how awful it is when you feel you're going to run out of food for the little guys.

~Mary

o

Cats are often just the most finicky of eaters. I'm referring to the 6-legged kind, too. I reared a number of tobacco hornworms, and for the first time ever, could NOT get them to move from tomato to pepper, horsenettle or ground cherry. I even tried rubbing tomato plant scent on them. UGH!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here