Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird eggs on Cissus quadrangularis

Posted by seedmoney 8A (seedmoney@embarqmail.com) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 23:08

Hi everyone,
I found these eggs on a Grape Veld, (Cissus quadrangularis) that I was propagating in my screened (apparently not too well!) greenhouse.
Were they deposited by a confused butterfly or are they something else entirely? All input appreciated. I've searched the literature but can't find any references to suggest that Cissus is a butterfly host plant. I should add I'm raising Black Swallowtails, American Painted Ladies , Gray Hairstreaks and Monarchs in there.

Here is a link that might be useful: weird eggs on Cissus quadrangularis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird eggs on Cissus quadrangularis

There are quite a few sphinx moths that use members of the grape family as host plants. I think just about all the the Eumorphas use grape family vines/plants, also Abbott's sphinx/Sphecodina abbottii, Lettered sphinx/Deidamia inscripta, Nessus sphinx/Amphion floridensis, and Hog Sphinx/Darapsa myron. They all make cute moths. I don't know which, if any, of them lay their eggs in large groups like yours did, so your eggs may not be sphinx moths, but it's a start.
I've included a link to a list of sphinx moths of America. You can click on each one to find a lot of information about each type. I'd scroll down and start on Eumorpha if I were you.
If, after the eggs hatch, they have horns on their rear ends, you know they're sphinx moths.
Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Sphinx Moths of America

o

I don't think that they are eggs at all, but something that the plant is exuding. The first clue to that, in my mind, is that the 'eggs' (droplets) are all located on or very close to a primary or secondary vascular vein.

I've seen this particular type of exudation on other kinds of plants, mostly those with calcium oxylate crystals in their sap. Which this plant contains, by the way.

What do you think of this theory?

o

Wow! I love this forum---thanks for your input, misssherry and rhizo. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
regards,
seedmoney

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here