Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desert Queen Butterfly Chrysalis

Posted by adellabedella 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 23:33

I've been seeing what looked like smaller monarchs flying around. I haven't seen any new eggs or caterpillars. This afternoon, I went out and found this new white chrysalis. It looks like a monarch chrysalis, only white instead of green and has the gold. I'm assuming it is a Desert Queen. Also found a new monarch chrysalis. on the other side of the fence. Dd said she saw some more caterpillars when she looked. I'm interested to see what we've been attracting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desert Queen Butterfly Chrysalis

Your use of the common name "Desert Queen" is interesting; I can only find one subspecies that would occur in the U.S. desert and it is commonly known as the Striated Queen.

o

I could be wrong. I'm fairly new to identifying butterflies.

I googled "white chrysalis gold butterfly" and found a picture that looked like my chrysalis. Here is the article that went with that. http://deemhills.blogspot.com/2011/11/desert-queen.html

The article was written in Phoenix so I googled "Desert Queen Butterfly Houston". See the link for that. It is also referenced as the "striated queen".

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Queen butterfly Houston

o

Yes, the blogger there repeatedly refers to the Queen butterfly and has titled a photo "Desert Queen" not to name the butterfly but to denote a Queen butterfly in the desert.

But then again, that is how common names get started; Desert Queen is better sounding than "striated".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here