Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can swamp milkweed be pruned or pinched back?

Posted by minnesotastan 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 23:35

We have enjoyed having Asclepias incarnata in our butterfly garden; it's been a magnet for Monarchs and a variety of bees.

The plants however seem to be designed to grow in the midst of other tall plants/grasses. Ours are about 6 feet tall, and in the absence of any lateral support from other plants they have a tendency to fall over, either from wind or just from the weight of water from the garden sprinkler.

Next year we probably could plan ahead and set up some mechanical support with wire frames or tomato stakes, but we were wondering if these plants can be pinched back early in the spring to keep them at a more reasonable height. If we pruned them when they get to be perhaps 2' tall and before they have buds, would they later bloom at a more manageable height of 3-4' - might they even branch out before blooming?

Has anyone tried this? (If not, we'll test it on a few of the sprouts and report back next summer...)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can swamp milkweed be pruned or pinched back?

If I had Monarch caterpillars, I'd be cutting the milkweed back to feed them. Cut it above a node and it will put out new growth. If you do it early enough, it will flower later in the summer.

I've already pruned my common milkweed, that is after it flowered, I love the scent and the butterflies and other pollinators love the nectar.

Hint: You can also do searches for information. For example, pruning, milkweed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Search on

o

I can't speak for the Asclepias incarnata but after my husband brush hogs the pastures the Asclepias viridis comes back within a few weeks.

Anna

o

My milkweed looked sad this summer, so I cut it back to just above nodes and it is coming back and is looking healthier. I've done this before, and it works. Lots of times people take the cuttings and root them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here