Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Color variation in butterflies/moths

Posted by perennialfan273 zone 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 0:58

I've noticed that in many butterfly and moth species, there is a lot of variation in the colors of the butterflies/moths (and their caterpillars sometimes). I was wondering if the food that the caterpillars eat affect the color that they will be (and the butterflies/moths they turn into later)?

One excellent example is the promethea moth. In the first photo you'll see, it has a reddish pink color to it. In the second one, however, it looks almost black. Also, I claim no ownership of these photos. I'm merely posting links to them as a reference.

http://www.kevincollison.com/images/breeding/breeding_Female_Promethea_Moth.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anitagould/143278022/in/gallery-writtersrightword-72157622944609216/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Color variation in butterflies/moths

As far as I know, the food a caterpillar eats doesn't affect his or her adult coloring. Cloudless sulphur cats will be green if they eat only leaves and yellow when they eat flowers - if their host plant starts blooming while they're in one of the late instars and they begin eating the yellow flowers, they'll turn a strange looking lime green color before pupating.
Of course, butterflies and moths fade with age, and the photograph/er can make a difference.
The same species can be a somewhat different color in different regions of the country. I've recently read that sweetbay moth/Callosamia securifera adults are dark in the Carolinas, but orange in the Gulf South. The article didn't say if sweetbay in the Carolinas is different from what it is here, and I doubt that it is. I know that female sweetbay moths here are very orange, because I found a cocoon on a sweetbay tree one year, and the female that emerged was bright orange!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here