Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone ID this Butterfly??

Posted by lazypup N.E.Ohio (lazypup@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 1:44

HABITAT where observed- Open meadow and on lawn.

The size of this butterfly is approximately 1/2 inch overall length.

This little butterfly seems to be very solitary and elusive and whenever I try to approach it to get a photo it will take flight as soon as I get within about 10 to 15ft.

It seems to fly very low in a fast and erratic flight path, generally staying about 10 to 15" above average terrain. When it lands it nearly always lands on a lower leaf of the plant well below the average height of the surrounding vegetation and immediately folds its wings into the upright position where is is very difficult to see.

I have observed it on white clover, red clover and a thistle blossom in the meadow or our yard but it seems to totally ignore all the flowers in our flower garden

I am attaching two photos, the first showing the wings in the upright (at rest) position. The second photo shows the wings partially open where you can possibly see enough of the coloration and markings to identify it. Getting a photo of the top proved extremely difficult because it keeps the wings in the upright position when resting on a plant and only opens them the moment it is taking flight.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone ID this Butterfly??

Looks like an eastern tailed blue to me - beautiful pictures Richard!
Blues are really hard to photograph, very elusive, alright!
Sherry

o
RE: Can anyone ID this Butterfly??

Clovers are a host plant for the ETB. It would be nectaring the Thistle.

They usually fly very low to the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here