Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So worried

Posted by elly_nj NJ z6 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 4:05

I planted a beautiful butterfly garden with Swamp and Orange milkweed. Found Monarch cats and took 2 inside. On one enclosure I secured a paper towel because it was big and sluggish and ready to pupate. It is now in a J.

The other was slowing down, too, although a bit smaller. In the few hours it took me to check it again, it has now crawled to the top of the plastic critter box I have it in and has been up there for almost 12 hours. No J.

Can it adhere to plastic? The plastic has little holes in it. Did I kill the cat I meant to nurture?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So worried

I am far from an expert, but I've had them attach to plastic and even glass. So far, so good.

o

They will often sit still for quite a long time between instars, or while they are molting (don't know if that's an accurate term). Just leave them alone with fresh milkweed and give it time. Hopefully it will shed its skin and start eating again.

Martha

o

I think they're fine. I've even had a Monarch cat form a chrysalis while lying on its side on the bottom of the cage. When it hardened, I hot glued it to the top of the cage.

o

I had several of my cats adhere to the plastic containers I was using. If it doesn't make it, you didn't kill it. It could have been sick. I had a cat die after half of the chrysalis was formed. Hang in there!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here