Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moth

Posted by blueirismoon 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 6:44

I live in middle tn.This moth is about the size of a humming bird.Does any body know what it is. It sure loved my moon flowers.
moth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moth

Looks like Manduca quinquemaculata, or Five-Spotted Hawk Moth, or Tomato Hornworm moth. As indicated, it's larval food is primarily tomatoe foliage, but will also eat Datura, Eggplant, Potato, etc., in the same family of Solanaceae. I love them, and always have food for them. The caterpillars get quite large.

Beautiful shot of yours!

Susan

o

Love your photo. That's quite a long proboscis!

o

You've got it, Susan. It's M. quinquemaculata. That moth IS the primary pollinator of Datura or your moonflower! NEVER remove or harm the big hornworms you will find feeding on that Datura, either. They are part of the plant's life cycle, too. The moth is reponsible for pollination of seeds to preserve the species and reproduce the plant, which is itself, a perennial. The hornworms are simply its larvae and they depend on the Datura's abundant leaves as food, so they can become the moths that help the plant make its seed. It's called mutualism, one of the 3 known symbioses.

By the way, if Susan and I are correct about the true ID of the moth, the hornworms you find, will be medium green with 7 double or V-shaped oblique stripes. The cats will feel tough and leathery, too.

Keep us posted on your search for hornworms and please post pics of them, too.

o

TW,

Glad you're back. I'm a late-comer to the Garden Forum. Had to retire first. Love the information you share. When I can learn something, the day isn't a waste!

Sandy

o

Thank you, Sandy.

o

I shot this picture about a month ago not knowing what it was at the time. It was on my tomato plant, amazing how it can turn into such a different looking creature.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/nmjw/hornworm-1.jpg

Thanks for all the info.I tried last night to take some more shots of the moth but could not get a good one.

o

Thanks for the feedback. The larva is a tobacco hornworm or six-spotted hawkmoth. Your adult moth still looks more like a five-spotted. To give you an example of just how closely related they are, both species are in the same genus. The five-spotted hawkmoth is Manduca quinquemaculata. The six-spotted is M. sexta. Sextas are also called "Carolina sphinx."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here