Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm BAAAACK!!!!!!!!!

Posted by TomatoWorm59 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 10, 11 at 6:59

Anyone wanting ot discuss anything about hornworms, hummingbird [hawk] moths or giant silk moths.......

I have a new-to-me computer and I'm growing tomatoes, peppers and squashes and rescuing hornworms!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm BAAAACK!!!!!!!!!

TomatoWorm - OMG, I mean OMG!!!!!! It is so good to see you back on the forum!

You have had the greatest influence on my fascination and rearing of sphinx moths ever - truly an inspiration!

While I am not really able to venture onto nature trails or habitat areas outside of my home, I have raised 12 or 13 different species of sphingidae found in my own yard, believe it or not.

This year has been especially horrid, though, due to our extreme drought. Butterflies AND moths are few and far between. I have only raised a Eumorpha achemon and a Eumorpha pandorus. I have had several Nessus sphinx at my butterfly feeder, though. One morning there were 4! That's a lot at one time for me, when I usually am lucky to see only 1.

Last year, I was thrilled to find on my Blue Sand Vine, Cynanchum laeve, larvae of the Erinnyis obscura, or Obscure Moth, which is a rare find in Oklahoma, since it is a much more tropical species. I raised the 5 I found, and all pupated and emerge as beautiful little moths.

So tell me where are you and what have you been doing? Inquiring minds want to know, lol!

Susan

o

I'm actually now in NE Texas. 30 miles or so, due west of Texarkana. So what all species of sphingids have you reared? I've expanded into big poplar, walnut and waved, in addition to sexta's. I'm now wanting to grow catalpas.

o

Let's see. In addition to the Obscure sphinx mentioned before, I've raised:

Four-Horned sphinx or Elm sphinx aka Ceratomia amyntor
Manduca quinquemaculata
M. sexta
Paratrea plebeja aka Trumper Vine sphinx
Amorpha juglandis or Walnut sphinx
Hemaris diffinus or Snowberry Clearwing
Eumorpha achemon
E. pandorus
Amphion floridensis
Darapsa myron or Virginia Creeper sphinx
Xylophanes tersa

There's one more but I can't recall it right now.

Did you find lots of sphinx in Kansas, or any other places you've traveled to?

Susan

o

Good work, Susan. I hope by this time next year, I will have most of those, along with 7 species of sat's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here