Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minrose_gw

What kind of butterfly will emerge from this chrysalis?

minrose
11 years ago

When clipping milkweed near a ditch by our farm, I found this chrysalis in my milkweed clippings. I have never seen a chrysalis in the wild before so I am pretty excited with my finding. I have never seen one like this, could it be an eastern yellow swallowtail butterfly? I just recently seen one in my garden.

{{gwi:519756}}

I am up to 384 Monarchs released so far this year, not finding as many eggs or catapillars.

{{gwi:519757}}

I was lucky enough to capture a monarch catepillar hatching

{{gwi:519760}}

{{gwi:519762}}
{{gwi:519764}}

{{gwi:519766}}

Comments (9)

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

Wow! What fabulous pictures!

The beautiful chrysalis must be a variegated fritillary. I've seen a picture of a silvery checkerspot chrysalis that looked white and somewhat like a variegated frit, so I guess it could possibly be that, but I doubt it. The white variegated frit chrsyalides are really beautiful, and I've never seen one as white as yours!

There must be violets or passionvines growing nearby.

Sherry

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Great photos Minrose - I think you mentioned in another thread that you'd been seeing Painted Ladies so I looked up images of their chrysalises and they look very similar to variegated frits'.

Here is a link that might be useful: google images

• minrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have had Painted Ladies chrysalises before and never seen any this white, but some of those images on google look alot like mine, hmmmmm.

• terrene
    11 years ago

Beautiful pics! Aren't those little hatchers cute?

• imabirdnut
    11 years ago

I can't wait to see what ecloses!!! Great pictures!
    I will be posting some pictures of cats that were on my blue passionvine that look different than the GF cats I usually have...they have a white line down the side! I brought 4 in to see what will eclose...they could be varigated frits or Mexican frits which would be very unusual here...or maybe just a variation of the GFs!
    Lila

• minrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

me too, very anxious but so far it has not eclosed, still pretty white.
    About those little monarchs catepillars hatching, I lucked out. Just happened to catch them as they hatched. I had wanted to photograph some hatching and finally I had some good timing. I noticed that these eggs looked a little different. I had two hatch within 45 minutes of each other. Theyboth hatched from the egg July 12 and they have both now eclosed, one eclosed Aug 8 and the other Aug 10. It was interesting as the second one to hatch, was always bigger than the first one so each catepillar can grow at it's own rate, I see.

• minrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It ended up being a Painted Lady. I have seen Painted Lady chrysalis before but never seen one so white, but I had never seen one on a milkweed before either. It flew away before I chance to get a really good photo of it.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Thanks for the followup Minrose. I was wondering which one it would be. It's interesting how their colors can vary like that. I've never raised Painted Ladies inside but that makes me want to.

• imabirdnut
    11 years ago

Minrose, thanks for posting! I was wondering what it could be????
    I am just now seeing more PLs in my gardens since this spring but have never raised any either! I had a lot of AL cats on a couple of native weeds that grew in my BF garden that had volunteered & then when they had eaten all of the "weeds", they moved to a small Silver Brocade artemesia I had but I think it is gone now...it didn't like our Texas summer heat! I didn't bring the AL cats in because I didn't have any more food for them!
    I would love to raise PLs but I haven't found a good host plant so far! I currently have a nice cardoon growing but so far it has been ignored. What host plants are in your area???
    Again, glad it eclosed for you!
    Take care,
    Lila

Sponsored