Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom123_gw

How's your weather?

Tom
10 years ago

I was talking with a friend yesterday who told me that there was a lot of flooding in states up north. Last year it seemed like there was an extended drought in the mid-west and parts of Texas. This year it looks like they are getting more than their share of rain.

We've had a good rain year here in Central Florida. Nothing really exceptional, but plenty of rain. It's like a sauna out there most days. The plants and bugs love it.

My daughter call my property "Dad's jungle." Things just keep growing. I'm loving it.

How's the weather for you guys?

Comments (4)

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

We've had a pretty good Summer in regards to rain in South WI, and now we're getting warm, sunny days and cool nights. Perfect butterfly weather. Butterflies are just starting to pick up, and Fall's in the air!! Kind of a bummer, but I hope I got enough BSTs thru for next year and enough Monarchs thru to migrate South. I still see an occasional Tiger Swallowtail and lots of Cabbage Whites.
    I was in the North Woods last weekend and saw lots of Northern Pearly Eyes and some Skippers. Weather was gorgeous:-D
    I also saw a lot of wild Pearly Everlasting and Pussytoes. No Ladies, though. I guess it's a little late for them now.
    I hope you're having a good year in Fla. and are producing lots of Monarchs. Some days I really miss being down there.
    Good luck and keep us posted:)

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

I gather from comments you've made on the forum, Leafhead, that you used to live in Florida. Florida to Wisconsin is quite the change!

After a long, rainy, very cool spring, we've had a cooler than normal summer, until recently, that is. For the past week or so, we've had the usual 90-degree temps with suffocating humidity. Rainfall has been plentiful, so I've only watered a few times this entire year. For example, three days ago I got 1.50" of rain, then yesterday, .50" of rain - even this heat isn't drying up the soil.

Sherry

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

Our weather here in Oklahoma is a lot like Sherry's in Mississippi. The humidity is in the 80s. The temps aren't as hot as normal, but with the high humidity, it's almost unbearable to get outside. It's like one big humid and hot greenhouse. Everything is growing like crazy. Can't keep up with the weeds or the lawn. Not seeing as many butterflies as normal, but can't complain as I still am getting butterflies, including all the Monarchs that I've raised.

Sandy

• linda_tx8
    10 years ago

Scorching hot every day, no rain at all in recent weeks. I fear for the butterflies that will come through this fall if this continues. We've gotten butterflies coming through lately that would continuously go from flower to flower for hours like they hadn't seen much to nectar from for a time. I can keep most plants blooming in the yard, but on the property and along the roads everything is shutting down pretty much and milkweeds have been going entirely dormant. Fortunately, some parts of Texas aren't doing better than we are. I'm raising a few GST cats and some Spicebush cats that turned up on my plants. I've released half a dozen BSTs lately and have 4 more chrysalises. So at least the swallowtails are back! But the male and female Queen that were in the garden for a few days apparently left no eggs on the milkweeds. So sad about that!

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County