Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Great Butterfly Day!

Posted by bettyd_z7_va 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 11 at 7:53

I had a wonderful day in the garden yesterday.

I saw a tiny blue butterfly flitting around close to the ground and decided that I would get a picture.

After lots of time up and down on my hands and knees, chasing it all over the yard, I FINALLY caught the little flirt!

DSC04431

A cute little Eastern Tailed-Blue. I never thought I would manage to get a picture of such a tiny thing. It is hard enough to get pictures of the larger butterflies. I couldn't wait to show DH when he got home!

Also had a male Monarch visit my largest Butterfly Bush. I got some pictures, but none good enough to post. Had a female on it last week and found one egg on my Swamp Milkweed! Woo-Whoo!!

Then, I decided to check some of my smaller Sasafrass trees and found this....

DSC04430

Could it be....could it be... a cozy little Spicebush Swallowtail hide out?

If so, should I bring it in to protect it from predators?

If so, how do I care for it inside?

What a GREAT day!!

Things are picking up!
Betty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Great Butterfly Day!

Betty,

Very good picture of your butterfly. YOU'RE LEARNING!!!

MIKE

o

Great pictures, Betty, especially of the eastern tailed blue! They are SO hard to photograph!
The nest on the sassafras isn't a spicebush swallowtail. Whenever you see those 'sewn shut' nests, you know it's not, and, as I recall, those nests are made by plain little green cats, which undoubtedly make a plain brown moth.
It really looks like the cat basted the nest shut doesn't it?
Sherry

o

Thanks, Mike and Sherry. I remember Bob's beautiful photo of this little friend and decided I would chase it until I couldn't any more. I almost gave up a time ot two, but I'm glad I kept at it.

My friend talked me through the cropping process on the phone! I learned a lot.

I'm disappointed about my sewn shut leaf, though.

Oh well, can't win them all.

Betty

o

Exceptional photos, Betty!

Bob

o

Thanks Bob,

I still have A LOT to learn, but I'm having fun and meeting new 'little friends'.

Betty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here