Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minrose_gw

716 Monarchs so far

minrose
12 years ago

Hi everyone, been super busy with all my Monarchs that I have not had time to visit here for awhile. I am up to 716 Monarchs eclose and 24 Black Swallowtail butterflies eclose. All done with the Black Swallowtails but I still have around 90 or so Monarch catepillars or chrysalaids. How you all doing? This will my biggest year ever but there is no way I can keep up with this pace, it was overwelming sometimes. I have gotten great joy releasing them and have gotten some good photos, will share some when I have more time.

Have a good day everyone.

Comments (13)

• klflorida
    12 years ago

Wow, good job. I am raising about 20 monarchs with 20 more eggs and am feeling overwhelmed. They are going to be needing food soon and one just eclosed on the zippered lid. That is where I get stumped, i.e., eclosing on the lid with more to take care of and afraid to disturb the ones that have eclosed.

I know some people can remove the chrysalis and re-attach it to something else, but I haven't a clear picture of how this is done. I also know not to disturb a new chrysalis.

Good job on your successes.

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Great work, Minrose. You need some designated Foster Moms/Dads! That's the only way I can make it when I get inundated. You are an inspiration to the rest of us as we await the migration south. Can't wait to see your photos and hear about your adventures.

sandy

• bev2009
    12 years ago

What a great mom you are, Minrose. I've seen 3 monarchs yesterday and today, after not seeing any for 2 months.

I've released 6 BST, have 1 cat and I think 4 for chrysalis to go. I don't know if they will hatch yet this year.

• bandjzmom
    12 years ago

Wow Minrose, your numbers are astonishing! Good job, and thank you for all of your work to help the Monarchs. It really is a commitment. I don't have the first Monarch egg here yet. I have just now seen the first adults in my yard, so maybe sometime soon, I will see some cats. I have had Sleepy Orange cats and Black Swalowtail cats.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Wow Minrose, that's fabulous, I bet you are working your butt off feeding those cats and cleaning poop!

I've released 22 Monarchs so far and have 93 in process from small cats to chrysalises. There are 53 big cats in the pop up enclosure that just started pupating today.

Kltampa, I have had to move 2 chrysalises recently because there were 2 renegade cats that insisted on getting out of their box and pupating on the underside of a shelf on the hutch. Wait a minimum of 24 hours for the chrysalis to harden, and then use a pin to carefully start pulling the silk pad off the surface. You can usually pull off a little bunch of silk near the end of the cremaster, and I just use masking tape to attach the silk to the new surface. Be careful to have something soft or use your hand under the chrysalis in case it falls in the process.

• Tony G
    12 years ago

Great job neighbor! It really turned out to be an incredible monarch season here and it's not over yet. (though the final chapter is close at hand) :(

Thanks for your part in sending a strong contingent of Minnesota monarchs on their Mexican migration, Tony

• garnet69
    12 years ago

716?! That is (and you are) incredible! I've released about 6, released my first tagged Monarch of the season yesterday. Have about 45 chrysalids and about 6 cats left. No eggs being laid on my milkweed since we had a nasty hail storm which completely shredded my milkweed. I'm okay with that, things are starting to cool off up here and they should be making their way south.

• minrose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are all so nice, love all the kind comments. It has been keeping me super busy, I really appreciate all the encouraging words.

• klflorida
    12 years ago

I thought of you this morning minrose as I butchered my giant milkweed and cleaned the cage for the 20 or so cats I'm caring for.

You must have a serious supply of milkweed and I'm curious about it as I can remember years past running to the nursery to buy more to feed the hungry monarch cats devouring what I had at home. Will you share how you manage to feed so many?

I didn't realize how easy milkweed was to propagate and just learned this year with both the tropical and milkweed plants I have so in the future I will be able to handle many more.

Keep up the great work, you inspire us.

Kathy

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

I don't know how you have the energe to raise that many - those numbers are HUGE!!
    I've got about ?25 and they're running me ragged, going back and forth to the garden to get MW leaves.
    I salute you Minrose!
    Sherry

• minrose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, I am very tired every day, that is why I can not go at this pace again next year. I get up at 5 am to take care of my catepillars.
    As for the milkweed, I have a couple of favorite places that I pick milkweed near our farm, that have very nice and lots of milkweed plus we have lots on our farm and my Dad has some at his place too.

• fighting8r
    12 years ago

That's crazy! We have released 65 monarchs year to date and that is using every bit of milkweed I have. Now my giant milkweed is finally getting going so maybe I'll be able to keep up better. Those scrawny tropical mw leaves only take a few minutes for a cat to eat!

We've been trying to remember to log our releases this year, and to date it's 311. Monarchs at 65 are the winners, followed by gulf frits at 59 and orange barred sulphurs at 50. Actually I can just attach the list:
    Black Swallowtail 37
    Cloudless sulphur 6
    Giant Swallowtail 21
    Great Southern White 10
    Gulf Fritillary 59
    Julia 6
    Monarch 65
    Orange barred sulphur 50
    Polydamas Swallowtail 15
    Queen 3
    White Peacock 4
    Zebra Longwing 35

The monarchs have been laying lots of eggs lately. Each time I say I am not bringing in ANY more, I accidentally bring in a few eggs on food leaves, then I HAVE to keep them too. It never gets old though watching the process. Does take your time though!

• tracey_nj6
    12 years ago

WOW, if I ever tended to that many monarchs in one season, I'd be divorced. I have a hard enough time feeding a dozen at a time. DH always complaining that I come home from work and rush to feed them first. At least THEY don't whine & complain ;)

You're awesome!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor