Bad news for our beloved Monarchs

NaturesFolly
10 years ago

Expecting the lowest count in history.. how very sad... :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Butterfly Ranch

Comments (9)

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Maybe time to write President Obama asking him to initiate dialogue c Mexico as to their national treasure. They hold 99%of the Monarch population during the winter mos, c 1% living year round in Fla and parts of Texas. We can only grow in numbers as butterfly enthusiasts and do our part here in the States. I urge each and every one of us to reach out to our neighbors and friends to plant a little (or a lot of) Milkweed on their properties.
    We as a species can either destroy or save the Monarch Butterfly. It's our choice.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

There has been ongoing dialogue between the United States and Mexico with agreements to protect the area used by the Monarchs. Unfortunately, much of the continued deforestation is being done illegally. I wish we could send some of our soldiers to protect the Monarch's winter home, but that's awfully expensive.

Martha

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Expensive, but not a bad idea.

• Liz
    10 years ago

We have plenty of blame on our side, too, what with GMO and overdevelopment, plus mowing along roadsides.. And the drought was undoubtedly devastating to them last year. That might be the biggest factor, actually.
    Liz

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

You are absolutely right. I do not mean to lay any blame anywhere, just offer potential solutions. Mexico has plenty of other challenges that probably feel more pressing than saving butterflies. Though, as the population of pollinators continues to nosedive, we might be in trouble due to dwindling food supplies. Even GMO need insects to pollinate them.

Martha

• cghpnd
    10 years ago

So sad:(

They are so beautiful to us. Both of my boys always get excited when they see Monarchs. They will randomly call me to tell me they've spotted them everywhere they go in Pittsburgh. I will save everyone that comes my way.

• Liz
    10 years ago

Maybe the Fish and Wildlife Service, or some other appropriate government department, could initiate a recovery plan for the monarch. States and localities could help too, by planting milkweeds on roadsides. I am not sure how we would try to get the ball rolling on something like that, though. It would be a big task.

Not to add to the general gloom, but if the droughts, floods, etc. we have been seeing around the country the last couple of years are due to global warming, we may all be in trouble, not just the monarch. It is sort of the canary in the coal mine.

I get depressed thinking about these issues, too. The best thing for me is to concentrate on my own little garden, where at least I can make a small but positive contribution.

• bernergrrl
    10 years ago

I just read something from Chip Taylor (head or founder of Monarch Watch) in which he mentioned that Mexico is doing a better job of protecting the overwintering grounds. Not perfect but better.

The main problem has been weather down there, and the use of genetically modified crops, use of round-up and other persticides, the decrease of hedgerows and the loss of conservation land for the production of corn to make ethanol.

The loss of Monarchs is at the nexus of so many human activites. In the article I am thinking of, he mentions a class he teaches about 2040, and Monarchs are not even part of it. It just seems to be bad news all round.

He is calling for what we are doing here--turning private yards into habitats. That's about all that can be done now.

There was also a recent study that is trying to narrow down the places where the northward migrating Monarchs reproduce-that can help focus the restoration efforts. Fingers crossed!

I am frustrated that all of the different organizations--North AMerican Butterfly Association, Monarch Watch, Wild Ones, PANNA, Xerces Society, can't seem to effect any kind of legislation (which is what we need) to ensure that practices are changed to ensure the survival of Monarchs and other animals and ultimately us. I don't know if they are trying or not, but I think it's the only way to go. People/businesses won't change their ways voluntarily--maybe they would--who knows, but it seems that usually groups need a little "encouragement" to change. It would create controversy, but that would also help to bring the plight of Monarchs and other animals to the general public's attention. I think that's what I'll be trying to find out in the next couple of days--are these organizations doing anything "big picture" to change the destructive practices.

Landscapers, farmers, agro-business, highway departments, park distrcits, all need to know how much their activities and decisions factor in the destruction of so much life.

I realize I am speaking so broadly here--but the problem is so multi-faceted, and we do things without ever really knowing the consequences (like with pesticides).

Think we are heading toward another silent spring, summer, fall and winter eventually.

But I carry on with my gardens and with spreading the word, and helping out with public ones and talking about butterflies in the hopes that maybe that will little bit will help out some.

If others can, think about putting a garden in at a school, library, park, get it certified with Monarch Watch or NABA, get those signs up; write letters to your local papers talking about the decline of all butterflies, but especially Monarchs; talk about what they need. Think about giving butterfly presentations if you feel up to it.

Anyway, so grateful for all of you out there who are reading this and helping out the butterflies in any way you can. Hugs!

• bernergrrl
    10 years ago

Here is the link to the Chip Taylor article.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chip Taylor interview

Sponsored