Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Second attempt - some recent photos

Posted by jeanner SW Ohio - Z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 2, 10 at 8:52

Not sure what happened to my first post so I'll try this again.

I've finally had some time to sort through some of my photos from the last few weeks. Here are a few of them, I hope you enjoy ....

CLICK ON ANY IMAGE TO SEE A LARGER IMAGE

I have lots of buckeyes this year and they seem to really like the orange cosmos ...

An eastern tailed blue on a red-oak sapling

A great spangled fritillary on a daisy ....

A painted lady, the back lighting really made the red markings glow!

A giant swallowtail ..... a little worse for wear but still flying strong

A monarch .....

This robber fly has been hanging out in the butterfly garden and I've seen it make several attempts at the butterflies but so far the only thing I've seen it catch are katydids and grasshoppers.

Somehow this picture reminds me of the movie Men in Black.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Second attempt - some recent photos

Beautiful pictures, Jeanne!

Bob

o

The butterfly pictures are beautiful but there is something mesmerizing about the robberfly picure. "Look into my eyes! You will feed me!"
-Elisabeth

o

Too funny Elisabeth!! LOL!!

Beautiful photos!! The Eastern TB is precious!

o

Amazing Pictures! Thanks for sharing!

o

LOL Eisabeth ..... considering that I feed everything else that wanders about or flies over my house !!

Thanks all for the comments, glad you enjoyed them.

o

Wow - you take the most GORGEOUS pictures, Jeane!!
Sherry

o

Thank you Miss Sherry :)

o

I enjoyed looking at your photos! I can't say that I like those robber flies. I saw one with a Monarch cat one time. It had consumed half of it, and it flew off with the other half when it saw me (I think that's why it flew off with it anyway). Grrr! We try to save as many as we can, but we can only do so much. There are so many predators out there just watching and waiting for them. I also have trouble with wasps getting to my BST cats if I don't bring them in. A few years ago the last four "butterflies" to eclose were actually wasps. They had overwintered and I was really disappointed when those came out of the pupas instead of the Black Swallowtails. I think it was the very first year that I raised them. After that I have become more diligent at watching the host plants and bringing them in as soon as possibly, preferably in the egg stage.
Cathy

o

Fantastic images, Jeanner! Love all of them. We have an exceptional number of bugs, beetles, wasps, bees, flies, grasshoppers, and other creatures here this year since the heat set in early in the summer (May rather than July). It seemed to foster an excess. Grasshoppers are especially bad this year, and be careful because I have had them actually come up on the porch and eat chrysalises that I have mounted on the windows. Yeah!

Love to see more of your photos!

Susan

o

When the predators get too bad, you have to bring in the big guns ...

o

Fantastic shots! I love the MIB reference; way too funny!

o

Beautiful photos, Jeanner. Really lovely.

I always wondered what that insect was (the robber fly)...kind of a nasty looking creature, especially with respect to the story of the monarch cat.

o

Loved the pics too--agree about the backlit Lady.

o

Great shots and a nice variety of butterflies. Some of you really seem to get a lot of different ones in your garden.

o

Let me join your chorus of praise for your pictures. When you get high praise from a great photographer like Bob, you know you're tops.

mike

o

Love the pictures & the humor!!! You must have a wonderful camera to capture these so beautifully!!! What do you use?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here