Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Caterpillar on Staghorn Sumac

Posted by jibd 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 11 at 9:18

Hi everyone,

I found some cool caterpillars on a small sumac tree yesterday and decided to bring them in. I had hoped that maybe they were early instar hickory horned devils. . .no such luck. But I still think I'll raise them to see what they are! In the mean time, here are some links to pictures of them. I'd love to hear some ideas as to what they are!

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z344/jibd123/IMG_1418.jpg

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z344/jibd123/IMG_1417.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Caterpillar on Staghorn Sumac

I'm not sure what staghorn sumac looks like, but are you sure that's what the plant is? The caterpillar in the first picture is a question mark, and the two in the second picture appear to be also - they might possibly be red admirals.
The plant must be something in the Urticales order, like nettles, false nettles, elms, hackberry/sugarberry, and mulberries.
Question marks are beautiful butterflies!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sherry

o

Misssherry - you're right - those are elm leaves. Sumacs have compound leaves without the double teeth on the edges. If they have teeth, like staghorn, the teeth are simple.
Tucker

o

Miss Sherry is right. Those are question mark caterpillars. The plant is an elm, which is a favorite of the question mark.
Cheers,
Elisabeth

o

Thank you so much! I've gotten better at IDing trees, but I obviously still have a lot to learn. I'm really excited now! I've seen question marks before but have never had the chance to view them as well as I will, now that I have caterpillars. This is my first year raising caterpillars, and it's a whole new kind of fascinating. Geez-- I was expecting some kind of generalist moth. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here