Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettyd_z7_va

Is This a Monarch Egg?

bettyd_z7_va
12 years ago

Don't laugh. I've never found a Monarch egg before.

I spotted this on the bottom side of a common milkweed leaf in Camelot Sunday and wanted to raise it if it is a Monarch.

{{gwi:521108}}

If it is, are there any special things I need to do? I have only raised one Monarch last year and that one was from a cat I found on my Swamp Milkweed.

Oh, I hope, I hope, I hope it is!!

Thanks,

Betty

Comments (4)

• ericwi
    12 years ago

That is very likely a viable monarch egg. I can't see the vertical stripes in the photo, but if you look closely, you might be able to see faint stripes, or striations, on the surface of the egg. The stripes converge on the uppermost tip. If the egg was hollow, and looked more like cellophane, it would be dead. However, when they look like they are filled with heavy cream, then they are viable.

• Mary Leek
    12 years ago

Betty,

This looks like a Monarch egg to me. A big 'Congratulations' for spotting it.

I finally had a visit from a mama Monarch yesterday. I've collected 14 eggs but she returned later yesterday and laid more. This morning she's busy up on the deck, laying eggs all over the potted milkweeds. Bless her heart, there must not be much MW around for her to use. She's even laid eggs on the native orange milkweed I grow for the nectar. I've read this is a plant not normally preferred for egg laying.

Good luck with the little egg. Are you planning on taking it inside to raise?

~Mary

• terrene
    12 years ago

Congrats on your Monarch egg! I would clip off the whole leaf, or a section of the leaf if it is a large leaf. For eggs I line the bottom of containers with paper towel and spritz the towel until it's just damp, not sopping or puddling.

Then I lay the leaves on the towel with the eggs up, and watch closely for when it starts to hatch. It will start to turn grey as the little head comes out. The tiny cat will eat its eggshell and then look for something to eat. Provide a fresh tender milkweed tip for him to crawl onto, and you're off!

• bettyd_z7_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOO-WHOO!!!!!!

I have been trying for over a year to spot one of these!!

I'm doing the happy dance!!

It is in the little net house sitting on my kitchen counter. I've only checked it a gazillion times today.

Thanks Eric, Mary and Terrene, for all of the info.

I wrapped the stem of the leaf in a wet paper towel. I hope the egg doesn't hatch while I'm at work tonight or while I'm sleeping when I get home in the morning.

I'm so excited!

Thanks again,
    Betty

Sponsored