Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Reminder: Collect Milkweed seed!!!!

docmom_gw
10 years ago

Summer is winding down, and milkweed plants are forming their seed pods. Please take some time to scope out areas that have seed pods and remember to check whether they have ripened and collect them as soon as they start to split open. Monarch Watch takes donated seed and redistributes it around the country to people who are working to establish stands of milkweed to help the Monarch continue their amazing migration. Check the pods for the destructive beetles that eat the seeds. If you don't want to donate to Monarch Watch, I'm sure this forum will attract many interested butterfly gardeners. The Garden Web Seed Exchange will also have folk both looking for seed and offering seed for trade.

Whatever, get out and collect that milkweed seed!!!!!

Martha

Comments (13)

• TreeRoots
    10 years ago

"Harvest us!!"
    {{gwi:521110}}

Ah, I love this time of year... I need to expand my milkweed selection, even though I never get monarchs :/

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

I collected some in a restaurant parking lot the other day!

~Laura

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

I am totally on it:) I have three or four sources of Milkweed to choose from this year. The pods are getting there...

• cghpnd
    10 years ago

I already got all the seeds. So far... there's a few plants that are still blooming. And now I know why its not good to leave the pods on when they split open...sheesh getting them seeds was hard with that fluffy stuff. I had no problem when I did it early as suggested on here. But I left a few on so if they wanted to fly away into the woods they could. Then I got to thinking, I didn't want them flying the wrong way and into my containers.

I've already given out over 500 seeds atleast on freecycle

• MandM55
    10 years ago

I collected some as well. First time. Is there anything special that I should know about planting milkweed? I was thinking of starting the seed out in a peat pot.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would recommend against the peat pots. They are hard to keep consistently moist. I would recommend looking into wintersowing.org. I've had more success starting seeds using wintersowing than any other method, especially native perennials that need cold stratification. Though, it looks like you probably don't get much cold, LOL. Still, the consistent moisture is really helpful. Check out the website.

Martha

• MandM55
    10 years ago

I collected some as well. First time. Is there anything special that I should know about planting milkweed? I was thinking of starting the seed out in a peat pot.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

You could try winter or fall sowing. Storing them in the fridge in damp sand or soil over the Winter will also cold-stratify them for spring sowing.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

For anyone collecting seeds I am still looking for some of all varieties. I can send an envelope address with postage fees to the USA but can't get you a stamp.

Any and all would be appreciated, even if only a few seeds.

Thanks

SCG

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SCG,
    I was just looking at maps of the normal range of Monarchs. BC is at the very northern edge of their range. I would check with nature lovers and scientists in your area to see how common it is to see Monarchs there. I'd hate you to make a huge investment of time and energy only to find that Monarchs are rare. Then again, with global warming and the lack of habitat in central North America, maybe they'll shift their range further north into Canada. Especially if there is any less large scale farming and use of genetically modified crops and pesticides.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up. I'd be happy to send you some common milkweed seeds and possibly some others, depending on whether pods develop.

Martha

10 years ago

docmom,

Yeah, the sightings here are not as common as they are slightly east. Last year was a historic (or so some claim) sightings year for the Edmonton, AB area several hundred miles to the north and a bit east. I am also in a known travel corridor for birds that are not listed for this area that are often sighted during migratory seasons. I am hoping Monarchs are the same as I know I have seen them in the past.

As well, I am not sure how to treat the information on sightings for this area. If you look at all the maps it is like the Monarchs stop at the 49th parallel as if customs held them up. Heck, the most common fritillary I have around here wasn't even on the regional checklist for BAMONA until I submitted it last week (assuming there ID is correct LOL).

That all being said while I would appreciate seeing a Monarch the milkweed is as much for the other butterfly's as well as for me to be able to collect and distribute seed. I am hoping that while I may not be able to raise Monarch cats I might be able to smile knowing I supplied the seed for someone else raising them.

I do appreciate your concern as well. I actually don't expect to see one. If I do, be assured every forum on this site as well as any others I find will know about it :) LOL

Thanks again.

SCG

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a generous soul you are. I promise to send you a generous supply of each type of milkweed seed I collect.

Martha

10 years ago

ahhh Thanks. I am just fortunate that I have the space to grow it and that it is deer resistant. I look forward to growing it next season.

SCG

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm