Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this Moth?

Posted by terrene 5b MA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 9:47

This moth came through the back garden yesterday and nectared on the Phlox for a long time. It looks like one of the hummingbird moths, but usually they have clear wings and I've never seen one like this before.

Btw, the real hummingbird wasn't happy about this guy and chased him away as soon as I stopped taking pictures!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this Moth?

Great picture!
I don't know what it is for sure, terrene, other than some type of sphinx moth. It might be a white-lined sphinx or banded sphinx - here's a banded sphinx, top side -
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sherry

o

First impression to me was Hyles gallii. Will look again after a cup or two of coffee... when I can see clearer (late night). LOL

o

Hi MissSherry! It's definitely not the one in your picture, it didn't have any bands and it has some coral/salmon type coloring on the top of the wings.

o

Not enough pink to be either a Eumorpha or Hyles lineata. I'm going ot say H. gallii.

http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/hgallii.htm

o

Thanks guys! I think it is H. gallii. There is another photo of the top of the wings that I didn't post because it's kind of fuzzy, but from what you can see of the wings it looks just like the picture on the link. That is a great website! And it's a pretty moth. The caterpillar is so interesting-looking.

I wonder what they have used as a host plant here. Coincidentally, I started some Epilobium angustifolium from seed, but the plants are small because they're still in 16 oz cups waiting to be planted out. From what I understand this is an aggressive spreader and their bed isn't prepped yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here