Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiger egg on my Spicebush I think

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 9:57

Normally I have to do a lot of searching to find a Spicebush Swallowtail egg or cat on my spicebushes but lately, I've had to do a lot of searching to find a little branch to bring in for my babies that doesn't already have eggs and cats on it. It's so weird to have so many this year. Anyway, in my searching, one egg was bigger and yellow green instead of creamy white. I think it might be an Easter Tiger Swallowtail egg. Is there anything else it might be? I brought it in on the leaf to see what happens.
I haven't found any eggs or cats on my Tulip tree for a couple weeks now, even though I'm seeing quite a few Tigers around my yard. I've been checking a couple Wild Cherry trees too and none there. I was beginning to wonder if they were just done for the year.

It's good to know the Tigers will use Spicebush too if that's what it is. My Tulip tree gets black stuff on the underneath side of the leaves that looks like some kind of fungus or something. It's not on all the leaves but maybe that's turning them away.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiger egg on my Spicebush I think

I have read that tigers will use spicebush, Christie, so it could indeed be a tiger egg.
In my experience the eggs are pure green, so green they blend in with the leaf they're on, but I also know that the color of butterfly eggs varies from one individual to the other. Giant swallowtail eggs can range from greenish yellow to orange, and pipevine swallowtail eggs come in various shades of red.
Here's a picture of a tiger egg -
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sherry

o

My prickly ash isn't far away. Hope it wasn't a Giant Swallowtail that missed. It's still an egg this morning. I think it's probably a tiger. If I can't tell what it is when it hatches, I will post a photo.

o

Update - It wasn't a swallowtail at all, but some kind of hornworm. It's very light green with a dark tail.
It's crawling around a lot. I'm not sure it's happy in the container with the spicebush leaves. I put some tomato leaves in there to see what it would do.

o

I've tried raising TSTs on spicebush, both on the plant and in containers. The cats eat it for a few days but always end up dying. I recommend avoiding using spicebush for TSTs unless you have extra eggs for experimentation.

o

I've never found a tiger on spicebush,but recently found two fifth instar cats on cucumber tree (Magnolia acuminata?) This was a first for me and I'm wondering how frequently they use this as a hostplant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here