Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananasinohio

FYI Eupatoriadelphus vs. Eupatorium

bananasinohio
12 years ago

Some of you are probably aware of this but I just came across it. The Joe Pye weeds are now classified at Eupatoriadelphus sp. as opposed to the old name Eupatorium. This is to separate them from the Bonesets. The difference being that Eupatoriadelphus has whorled leaves, while the Eupatorium has opposite leaves (according to the U of Texas, at Austin, Ladybird Johnson wildflower website). I will be checking this out on my rounds :).

Cheers,

Elisabeth

Comments (13)

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    12 years ago

This kind of stuff drives me nuts. I'm getting better about using/knowing binomial names and then they go and change on me.

I knew that some of the Eupatoriums had changed but I don't remember seeing the name "Eupatoriadelphus" before.

• terryr
    12 years ago

and say that fast 3 x's...lol...drives me nuts too....I know them as Eupatorium, so to me, that's what they are. Let the Latin, Botanical and native police all come and get me...lol..or do I have that wrong too? Would NOT be the first! *wink wink, grin, just kidding, chuckles, all that jazz* :-)

• bananasinohio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It gets worse. There is a sub-heirarchical name "Eutrochium" for some of the joe-pye weeds. Some are called trumpetweed now. It is sooooo confusing. I am trying to differentiate some of them because some bonesets, joe pye weeds, eupatoriums, etc., attract butterflies, some do not. AAARRRGH! I vow to get a handle on this and report it to the committee.
    -Elisabeth

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    12 years ago

The biggest reason I hate these changes is it makes it harder to find what I'm looking for. Some nurseries use the old name and some use the new name.

• terryr
    12 years ago

Trumpetweed sounds like trumpetvine, which I cannot stand! I made the mistake of planting that beast...and it came up over there, and over here, and in our neighbors yard....

You figure it out Elizabeth...and please don't anyone get mad at me if my brain can't get a handle on it! I swear, it's dusty as all get out in there (the ole gray matter), however it clearly has a NO VACANCY sign hangin' on a rusty old chain, because I can't remember anything anymore!

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

I wish they'd quit doing this!
    Sherry

• jrcagle
    12 years ago

The most frustrating part is that in many cases, the common names are *more* stable than the scientific names. Oops.

• Ament
    12 years ago

I swear, it's dusty as all get out in there (the ole gray matter), however it clearly has a NO VACANCY sign hangin' on a rusty old chain, because I can't remember anything anymore!

Terry, this made me giggle, simply because I became afflicted with this far too early. I'm 41 now and been dealing with this for 9 yrs already. Fibromyalgia is certainly a nightmare, however, a great excuse when I just cannot remember jack! Haha! Some days, it's a blessing, some days, a major curse. *chuckles* So I have to thank you for the laugh. :)

~Tina

• bananasinohio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Terryz, don't worry about not remembering it. The test is not for another eight months, or the start of butterfly season 2012, by which time, they will have changed it again.
    -Elisabeth

• terryr
    12 years ago

Glad I could make you giggle, Tina! (and I'm sorry about your fibro, my SIL has it)

Isn't that the way it always goes Elizabeth? I was never very good at test taking, so you all won't be suprized when I get a big fat F on this one! ..lol...

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

At least the four basic elements (air, earth, fire, and water) haven't had name changes.

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Just read all the posts on this thread this morning, and had my chuckles for today. I have likened my brain to my computer--the working memory is full. And we all know what happens next, the computer stops working.

Tina, I too have FM. Diagnosed with it 17 years ago. I think it's the stammering around I do when I'm trying to recall that really gets me. And the fact that when I'm worn out, I can't remember anyone's name--including my own.

Think I'll be sticking to common names, for plants at least. I'm still struggling with the taxonomic names of butterflies.

Sandy

• Ament
    12 years ago

Oh Don't I just know it Sandy! Ugh! I've so done that. Or...when you are whipped and someone asks you something you have answered a million times before and stare at them like you have absolutely nothing between your ears? *glassy eyed stare* I know you know what I'm saying. LOL It can be so embarrassing. Haha! Yeesh, My husband just laughs some days at how much of an airhead I can be. He's gotten so used to it. :) I'm grateful for that though. It can be a deal breaker. LoL

~Tina Marie
    Laughing again about all the glassy stares, which I've given people for lack of remembering things.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area