Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Asclepias???

Posted by kr222 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 10:32

I found this near the creek. I'm hoping I identified it correctly as a variety of Asclepias, the monarch host plant. Am I right?

If these images don't post correctly, they are also posted at the link below.
Thanks for your help!
Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Asclepias?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Asclepias???

Yes that is Asclepias. It is Asclepias incarnata. It likes a wet area, but will adapt to regular garden conditions.

o

I agree that is A. incarnata. Asclepias species are very easy to id because if you pinch off the tip of a leaf, you can see the white "milk" exude from the central vein of the leaf.

Did you dig up the whole plant? It may suffer quite the transplant shock which could affect the moisture level in the leaves. Cuttings probably would have been better to start.

A. incarnata is very easy to start from seed. I've got seedlings started this year that have grown more than 1 foot tall, and have provided a lot of food for the cats. Although, they won't bloom, which is fine when the primary goal is feeding Monarch caterpillars! :)

o

The deal with the white milky sap is that there are other plants that also have the milky sap. Dogbane produces milky sap. Monarchs will not eat it.

o

The plant I had must not be A. incarnata. There was no milky sap and the cats wouldn't go near it. They eventually, reluctantly, ate some of the A. tuberosa that I grow in my garden. I did find some milkweed at a local park along a creek. I picked off one of its large leaves...lots of sap. I brought it home and the cats have been devouring it. Phew!

o

Doesn't look like it to me. It does rather resemble Ironweed, but I'd need a little clearer picture to identify with confidence.

Anna

o

The milky sap may not exude so much from a plant that has been dug up and is wilty and going through transplant shock. It sure looks like A. incarnata to me, but whatever that plant is, glad you found some wild milkweed and your cats are eating it!!

o

I didn't dig up the plant. I didn't want to disturb an established plant. Instead I just took some cutting from it. It didn't exude any sap when they were cut either, so I think I just got a plant that looks similar to A. incarnata. These weren't on single stems either. They branched quite a bit. Either way, I'm so glad I found some that the cats will eat. That was the most important part.
Kim

o

Did you find outwhat it is? I was going to guess some kind of willow,as crazy as that sounds.Another possibility is dogbane.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here