Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kr222

Is this Asclepias???

kr222
13 years ago

I found this near the creek. I'm hoping I identified it correctly as a variety of Asclepias, the monarch host plant. Am I right?

{{gwi:522075}}

{{gwi:522076}}

If these images don't post correctly, they are also posted at the link below.

Thanks for your help!

Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Asclepias?

Comments (8)

• runmede
    13 years ago

Yes that is Asclepias. It is Asclepias incarnata. It likes a wet area, but will adapt to regular garden conditions.

• terrene
    13 years ago

I agree that is A. incarnata. Asclepias species are very easy to id because if you pinch off the tip of a leaf, you can see the white "milk" exude from the central vein of the leaf.

Did you dig up the whole plant? It may suffer quite the transplant shock which could affect the moisture level in the leaves. Cuttings probably would have been better to start.

A. incarnata is very easy to start from seed. I've got seedlings started this year that have grown more than 1 foot tall, and have provided a lot of food for the cats. Although, they won't bloom, which is fine when the primary goal is feeding Monarch caterpillars! :)

• runmede
    13 years ago

The deal with the white milky sap is that there are other plants that also have the milky sap. Dogbane produces milky sap. Monarchs will not eat it.

• kr222
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The plant I had must not be A. incarnata. There was no milky sap and the cats wouldn't go near it. They eventually, reluctantly, ate some of the A. tuberosa that I grow in my garden. I did find some milkweed at a local park along a creek. I picked off one of its large leaves...lots of sap. I brought it home and the cats have been devouring it. Phew!

• annainok
    13 years ago

Doesn't look like it to me. It does rather resemble Ironweed, but I'd need a little clearer picture to identify with confidence.

Anna

• terrene
    13 years ago

The milky sap may not exude so much from a plant that has been dug up and is wilty and going through transplant shock. It sure looks like A. incarnata to me, but whatever that plant is, glad you found some wild milkweed and your cats are eating it!!

• kr222
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't dig up the plant. I didn't want to disturb an established plant. Instead I just took some cutting from it. It didn't exude any sap when they were cut either, so I think I just got a plant that looks similar to A. incarnata. These weren't on single stems either. They branched quite a bit. Either way, I'm so glad I found some that the cats will eat. That was the most important part.
    Kim

• cecropia
    13 years ago

Did you find outwhat it is? I was going to guess some kind of willow,as crazy as that sounds.Another possibility is dogbane.

Sponsored