Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bandjzmom

Sleepy Mama

bandjzmom
12 years ago

Caught this Sleepy Orange mama laying her eggs upon my Sicklepod Senna. Didn't notice until I uploaded the pic that there was a little green Sleepy Orange cat just to her right! COOL!! :o)

Sleepy Orange Mama lays her eggs

{{gwi:522975}}

Comments (6)

• bev2009
    12 years ago

What a great shot! I'm always surprised when I pick some dill because I don't see anything on it and then when I bring it in, there is a cat or egg on it.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Good capture, Angie!

Sleepy oranges, year round, are the most common butterfly in my garden. I can't remember there ever being a time when they weren't there, and they're usually in abundance. Even on cold winter days, if the sun comes out, out they come! They're cute to watch, aren't they, chasing each other around all day? Sleepy they're NOT! :)

Sherry

• bettyd_z7_va
    12 years ago

Angie,

I really love this photo. You really should post this on the BMNA site. I just checked and they don't have a photo this great. They would get '2 for the price of 1'!

I haven't seen one here, yet. They have been verified present in a county north of me, so it is possible I could have them. I planted the Sicklepod Senna seed, but it was the day of my crazy planting marathon and I can't remember where. I haven't seen any seedlings that could be them, yet.

Next time I will slow down and keep better records.

Betty

• Mary Leek
    12 years ago

Angie,

Wow, fantastic photo! How neat is this, a two for one. :-) Now I need to go look up this little beauty and see what I can learn.

Thank you so much for sharing.

~Mary

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Angie, great photo! I love the Sulphur cats because they look like a rich velvety green. I have never seen another cat that looks like that. Love 'em! And, you're right, MissSherry, they are such cuties, cavorting thru the garden. I haven't had anything much cavorting or otherwise this year, except for the Emperors. Hopefully I will see a few more this fall.

Susan

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys. Just got lucky and was standing there with the camera in hand when she landed. Like the sea turtles, they seem to be in a trance like state when they are actually laying. They don't seem to be easily disturbed. I have brought a bunch of the little Sleepy cats into my tent this summer. The wasps seem to love em and they eat them all up if I don't rescue some. I have had only a couple of Cloudless Sulphur cats so far. Haven't seen a Monarch yet. Waiting.~`A

Sponsored