Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickinla_gw

Pipevine Gains and Losses

rickinla
10 years ago

I finally found some Pipevine Swallowtail cats on my Pipevine a few days ago and moved the potted Pipevine into the barn under Metal Halide lights. The next morning of the 5 cats on the vine, 3 were missing, 1 was clearly dead, and 1 was doing well. The remai Inge cat has tripled in size.

Comments (22)

• rickinla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today I found 5 or 6 more, transferred them to a potted Pipevine, and moved them into the barn. They are entering their 2nd instar and 1 shed after moving. Hopefully my numbers work out a little better this time, and the wasps, flies, parasites, etc stay outside.

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

I hadn't read your second post when I posted, but are you sure your barn is a safe place?

Sherry

• rickinla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not spiders, no spiders in this barn. my wife is OCD about spider webs and sprays every 3 to 4 months. I think a parasite got to them since 2 were on the floor the next morning and not doing well. I hope the buzz from the lights keeps the other predators away. I hope I got the new batch in before something got to them. My potted Pipevine is too tall to cage, growing on 6ft bamboo poles and I'd rather not start cutting it up if I don't have to.

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Congrats on the Pipevine cats! Lucky you. I have not had them here yet, but I am thinking that this year might be my lucky year. I am seeing a LOT of Pipevine SWT's in my yard right now. One of them is bound to find the Pipevine. I think that all sorts of critters eat caterpillars. If you really want to ensure their survival, I guess the only real way would be to take cuttings of the Pipevine and put them into water and then cage them with the cats. But, I know that you already knew that. :o) Good luck!!!
    Angie

• rickinla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is this a female Pipevine Swallowtail? She was nectaring on the Butterfly Bush growing next to my Pipevine.

• rickinla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another shot showing the top side.

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

It's a black form female tiger swallowtail. The two keys are the totally black body and the vertical tiger stripe (like males and yellow females have) that shows on her underside.

She's a beauty!

Sherry

• rickinla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well bummer, I was hoping for more cats. The ones I moved into the barn are thriving, 6 for 6 still on the potted vine.

• joncongaroo
    10 years ago

It's so hot here our pv cats glow red.{{gwi:523059}}
    {{gwi:523061}}

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

lol
    Anyone down in Florida raising any Polydamas?

• rickinla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The red coloration is pretty cool. I wonder why they're that color?

My lone survivor from the 1st batch was there this morning and gone this afternoon. I'm pretty sure it wandered off to form a chrysalis. The other 6 are still on the vine and growing quickly. I think these guys grow quicker than the Gulf Fritillaries.

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Sometimes my pipevine swallowtail cats would be a bit red -

{{gwi:457885}}

Sherry

• rickinla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Are these Pipevine eggs? I hope.

• Tom
    10 years ago

In my garden the Polydamas cats often appear red, while the Pipevines are more black.

I have lots and lots of Polydamas. They stick around the vines and don't seem to wander away. The major control for them appears to be wasps and ants that carry away the eggs.

We got about three inches of rain yesterday. Can't remember an August that has been wetter than this one. I'm sure you are getting a lot also, Sherry.

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

Rick,

Yes, those are PV eggs. Looks like you've got a lot of them. Have fun raising all of them.

Sandy

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Yes, those are eggs, Rick, although it looks like at least one of them has hatched? Pipevine swallowtail eggs are various shades of red and are usually laid in clusters.

Congrats, congrats!!

Yes, Tom, it's rained more this year than I can remember. Usually, the bottom of the hollow doesn't have water in it in July and August, but it has this summer - after the rain, the water flows, like the little stream that's there in winter and spring.

Sherry

• rickinla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's great news. I found that group on the outside vine, plus a smaller group on a potted vine outside; both groups have been moved inside the barn. When I went back out to water the potted plants (right before the rain), I noticed another small group, they're still out in the rain. There has been a busy mama around here, hopefully she'll visit again when I'm out there.

• Dreaded BagLady
    5 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I hope you will still see this. I am looking for a few different Aristilochia and you seem to have at least one of them. Or you did! I would love to buy seeds or cuttings if that’s possible. I’m dreadedbaglady on my Gmail.

• Tom
    5 years ago

I will look to see if I can find any seeds. If I find them I will send them to you. The two aristolochia that I recommend for pipevine and polydamas butterflies are the tomentosa and the fimbriata.

• four (9B near 9A)
    5 years ago

I have fresh A. trilobata sedes.

• four (9B near 9A)
    5 years ago

seeds

Sponsored