Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pipevine Gains and Losses

Posted by rickinla 8B (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 11:18

I finally found some Pipevine Swallowtail cats on my Pipevine a few days ago and moved the potted Pipevine into the barn under Metal Halide lights. The next morning of the 5 cats on the vine, 3 were missing, 1 was clearly dead, and 1 was doing well. The remai Inge cat has tripled in size.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pipevine Gains and Losses

Today I found 5 or 6 more, transferred them to a potted Pipevine, and moved them into the barn. They are entering their 2nd instar and 1 shed after moving. Hopefully my numbers work out a little better this time, and the wasps, flies, parasites, etc stay outside.

o

I'm glad you've got one healthy cat left, but I wonder what happened to the others? If your barn is as full of spiders and other critters as my garage - I'm in the country - they probably got them.

Sherry

o
RE: Pipevine Gains and Losses P.S.

I hadn't read your second post when I posted, but are you sure your barn is a safe place?

Sherry

o

Not spiders, no spiders in this barn. my wife is OCD about spider webs and sprays every 3 to 4 months. I think a parasite got to them since 2 were on the floor the next morning and not doing well. I hope the buzz from the lights keeps the other predators away. I hope I got the new batch in before something got to them. My potted Pipevine is too tall to cage, growing on 6ft bamboo poles and I'd rather not start cutting it up if I don't have to.

o

Congrats on the Pipevine cats! Lucky you. I have not had them here yet, but I am thinking that this year might be my lucky year. I am seeing a LOT of Pipevine SWT's in my yard right now. One of them is bound to find the Pipevine. I think that all sorts of critters eat caterpillars. If you really want to ensure their survival, I guess the only real way would be to take cuttings of the Pipevine and put them into water and then cage them with the cats. But, I know that you already knew that. :o) Good luck!!!
Angie

o

Is this a female Pipevine Swallowtail? She was nectaring on the Butterfly Bush growing next to my Pipevine.

o

Here's another shot showing the top side.

o

It's a black form female tiger swallowtail. The two keys are the totally black body and the vertical tiger stripe (like males and yellow females have) that shows on her underside.

She's a beauty!

Sherry

o

Well bummer, I was hoping for more cats. The ones I moved into the barn are thriving, 6 for 6 still on the potted vine.

o

It's so hot here our pv cats glow red.

o

lol
Anyone down in Florida raising any Polydamas?

o

The red coloration is pretty cool. I wonder why they're that color?

My lone survivor from the 1st batch was there this morning and gone this afternoon. I'm pretty sure it wandered off to form a chrysalis. The other 6 are still on the vine and growing quickly. I think these guys grow quicker than the Gulf Fritillaries.

o

Sometimes my pipevine swallowtail cats would be a bit red -

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sherry

o

Are these Pipevine eggs? I hope.

o

In my garden the Polydamas cats often appear red, while the Pipevines are more black.

I have lots and lots of Polydamas. They stick around the vines and don't seem to wander away. The major control for them appears to be wasps and ants that carry away the eggs.

We got about three inches of rain yesterday. Can't remember an August that has been wetter than this one. I'm sure you are getting a lot also, Sherry.

o

Rick,

Yes, those are PV eggs. Looks like you've got a lot of them. Have fun raising all of them.

Sandy

o

Yes, those are eggs, Rick, although it looks like at least one of them has hatched? Pipevine swallowtail eggs are various shades of red and are usually laid in clusters.

Congrats, congrats!!

Yes, Tom, it's rained more this year than I can remember. Usually, the bottom of the hollow doesn't have water in it in July and August, but it has this summer - after the rain, the water flows, like the little stream that's there in winter and spring.

Sherry

o

That's great news. I found that group on the outside vine, plus a smaller group on a potted vine outside; both groups have been moved inside the barn. When I went back out to water the potted plants (right before the rain), I noticed another small group, they're still out in the rain. There has been a busy mama around here, hopefully she'll visit again when I'm out there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here