Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflyman

Lantana reviews

butterflyman
12 years ago

This time of the year, mid-August, the champion nectar plant in my garden is lantana. Butterflies and hummingbrids both are attracted to its sweet nectar.

The four varieties pictured above are the ones I am testing out this year.

Ham and Eggs is my favorite. I really like the pink and yellow combination. It grows in pots, hanging baskets and even does pretty well in partial shade. It about medium height and makes a great display.

Chapel Hill Yellow is a new variety I' m trying out and it seems to be doing well also. It's a low-growing variety and would probably also do well in a hanging basket.

Star Landing is a very vigorous variety and right now is four foot high and three foot tall. Its bright yellow and orange is a striking color combination.

Miss Huff is the only variety which is a bit disappointing. Its color combinations are washed out and looks like a faded t-shirt. It also is very vigorous and tall, but it won't be invited back next year.

I've got a picture at the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Lantana Picture

Comments (7)

• bettyd_z7_va
    12 years ago

I was thinking of trying Miss Huff because it is supposed to be winter hardy in my zone. Hmmmm... I really don't want a plant that looks like a faded t-shirt when blooming.

I was checking out your Blog and saw your post on rooting willow cuttings. I am trying to root some weeping willow cuttings now and am not having much success. Do you think it would be possible now if I cut the ends off of the cuttings as you did, or should I wait till spring and use new growth?

Thanks,
    Betty

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Your lantanas are beautiful, Butterflyman!
    Lantana is always the most popular nectar plant in my garden. The butterflies will visit others, like butterfly bush, milkweed, pentas, Mexican sunflowers, porter weed, and others, but none of them get nearly as much action as lantana.
    Sherry

• swallowtailgirl
    12 years ago

I love lantana! They seem to thrive no matter how hot the weather gets. I really like the Miss Huff variety because they come back every year in zone 7. I can't imagine a butterfly garden without it, at least in this area. They come back strong and healthy and they bloom consistently until frost.

• swallowtailgirl
    12 years ago

I love lantana! They seem to thrive no matter how hot the weather gets. I really like the Miss Huff variety because they come back every year in zone 7. I can't imagine a butterfly garden without it, at least in this area. They come back strong and healthy and they bloom consistently until frost.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

What about the color of Miss Huff, Swallowtail Girl?
    I've been wanting to order it. I've got a place up by the main road where the soil is terrible, it drains real fast, but lantana doesn't need good soil, and it does like fast drainage. I thought Miss Huff would be a good one for that area.
    Sherry

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

I absolutely adored 'Miss Huff'. She attracted so many visitors, including the hummers, butterflies (big and small), and the day-flying sphinx moths like the Snowberry Clearwing and Nessus, which were crazy about it. I also like the colors of orange, yellow and pink. Like all flowers, they do fade. It will keep on blooming even if you don't deadhead it. It does get very large, but I didn't care about that. Some may. Miss Huff also will not reseed in your garden like many, because the seed is sterile.

No other Lantana I've every purchased, did the work that Miss Huff did.

Susan

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Thanks, Susan!

Sherry