Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help with ID of my little friends!

Posted by catobsessed 5 Nebraska (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 3, 10 at 11:27

I have some little orange and brown butterfly friends that are here every year and I just can't figure out who they are! Won't you please help? They are bright orange that is dark spotted on the top portion of their wings and dark brown on the lower portion. When they close their wings, they look like a dead leaf. Medium sized wings, longer on the top portion. Sorry, all the pics are blurry so far, but I will keep trying. Any help would be appreciated!

All the pics I've looked at so far are not exactly the same. The great spangled fritillary and the questionmark seem the closest, but I don't think these have the same wing shape as the questionmark.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help with ID of my little friends!

This website should help you. Just pick shape, a color and whether the wings were closed or open.

Here is a link that might be useful: Identify Butterflies by shape, wing color (open or closed)

o

Check out the Goatweed Leafwing, and the Variegated Fritillary.

o

That was a pretty good description of the goatweed butterfly, including the falcate forewing tips.

o

I have what you describe and they are known as Copper Butterflies. They are the cutest things!! But the lower wings are rounded.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here