Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryr_76

What kind of butterfly is this?

terryr
12 years ago

This morning I saw this butterfly enjoying the bananas I have in an old saucer hummingbird feeder (no top). I took shot after shot and only in the last one was I able to get a glimpse of the inside of it's wings. I've searched and I've searched online, tying to ID it from the outside and possibly from what little I can see on the inside with no luck. Can anyone ID this butterfly for me? Larger than a Meadow Fritillary, smaller than a Monarch.

wings closed

{{gwi:523270}}

wings slightly open

{{gwi:523271}}

TIA,

Terry

Comments (7)

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Beautiful!
    At first I thought it might be a comma, but after checking the dashes on the wings, I can see it's a question mark.
    Congrats - I've raised a lot of them!
    Sherry

• terryr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Sherry! I'm not sure where it came from. I think my decision to put out bananas was a really good one! ;-) I hope it sticks around and brings family and friends! I also saw, for sure this time, my first Pearl Crescent of the year! Now s/he was sure photogenic!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Lovely picture. I've never seen one.

OK, i keep meaning to put out fruit but never get around to it. I've been saving a banana to put out, so here I go. I'll post if I attract anything. I need to go out and release a BST the hatched earlier anyway.

• terryr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Bev! Try the fruit, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! :)

• bananasinohio
    12 years ago

Nice! Definately a question mark. The shot of the upper wing shows the four identifying marks as well. Commas have only three. I have been tossing out bad fruit. I have had red spotted purples, tawny emperors, and question marks. They get tipsy and I can get really close. I have been to lazy to get pictures posted. Maybe I will save them for this winter when the butterflies are asleep.
    Cheers,
    Elisabeth

• mustang49
    12 years ago

clueless! i'm curious to know the answer when you come across it!

• terryr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, this was too funny...my hubby and I were standing at the kitchen window (above the sink) around 6pm. He sees a butterfly almost fly into the window, but he tells me he thinks it landed on the ledge!! Sure enough...lol...I took a few shots from inside, then went on outside and got more. Siding and windows were already here when we bought...not my choice! They do need another cleaning though, don't they? :D

This is to show how it's up in the corner there...silly thing..

{{gwi:523272}}

and this...my gosh..is it hanging by a foot?? LOL

{{gwi:523273}}

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner