Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Huge yellow moth - what is it??

Posted by dinajean upstate SC - Z7 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 11:34

Found this guy this morning in the grass, just about dead - he is dead now. Can anyone tell me what he was? And then my dog starting playing with him, I have a strange dog, but he was picking him up and tossing him around trying to get the thing to play back. Is the moth poisonous to my dog?? Thanks for any help!!

Here is a link that might be useful: big yellow moth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Huge yellow moth - what is it??

It looks kind of like a Royal Walnut Moth or an Imperial Moth, both of which look like they are found in your area.
-Jmcat

o

Not much left of the wing scales for ME to tell for certain, but two of your options could be the Imperial Moth or the Spotted Tiger. Perhaps it had more coloring before your dog began playing with, and you can look at images of those two moths and compare. Anyone else have any ideas?

o

Did some googling and it does appear to be an Imperial Moth. Thanks for the help! He was dead before the dog got to him...will my dog get sick though, does anyone know?

o

Your dog won't get sick; you don't need to worry.

o

Thanks for sharing the photo.My 9 year old grandson was here and I shared it with him. FUN!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here