Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with a couple of Skipper ID's

Posted by bob_71 z7 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 11:43

The first one's yellow head along with a general lack of markings leaves me without a clue.

The second bears a resemblance to the Eastern Pawnee version of Leonard's Skipper and the flying time is about right. Observed and photographed in Maryland on 8/6/2012.

There were also lots of Peck's Skippers and Fiery Skippers during the same time.

Thanks, in advance!

Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with a couple of Skipper ID's

Bob,

The first photo is a Dun Skipper or Euphyes vestris; the gold head was the tip-off.

I "think" the second picture is one of the Broken-Dashes. Without seeing the ventral shot, I can't say for sure. There are two Broken-Dashes, the Northern and the Southern. Your photo looks a lot like either male in Kaufman's Field Guide. Scientific names are Wallengria otho (Southern) and Wallengria egeremet (Northern). The ventral wing coloring is the tip-off for which species. Southern is redder in color than the Northern.

HTH,

Sandy

o

Thank you, so much, Sandy!

Bob

o

I have Southern Broken Dash in my yard. On my Facebook Photos there's an inside wing photo and an outside wing photo. Note what appears to be a three on the outside wing photo. If you click through those yard butterfly photos you'll see the inside photo.

Sandy, I agree the first photo does look like a Dun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of Southern Broken Dash

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here